Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Variable Speed GE Profile High Suction Pressure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clman

clman

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Amber

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Late last minute call out of area to a ncoo GE Profile. It had previously been serviced approx 30 days ago for ncoo. Owner and extended warranty co both told me that the previous servicer said unit had a sealed system leak. I found a access valve installed, ff @ 74 deg and fz @ 79. Variable speed compressor running and cool, no heat in liquid line and a slightly cool suction line. Initial low side pressure @ -4 psi. Looked for signs of leak before and after charging - nothing found. Charged unit so customer could use the unit till a resolution was achieved. The problem comes in with two things. I charged the unit to approx 3psi - No temp changes to anything. Kept going up to 5 then 10 then 15, etc till I finally got some heat in the condenser about 1/3 of the way through at 35psi. Also the compressor had a sort of dull light rod knock sound - lighter when settled and a bit more pronounced when adding refrigerant. The temp started dropping quickly then but I know somethings wrong here. I've never charged a residential unit to that high of a low side pressure before. I find it odd that the unit would have a leak and a bad compressor but I know it's possible. Just not used to charging variable speed units so it leaves me with questions that with a recip comp I would not have. Wish I would have had time to add a high side valve.

I don't know if I'll be going back to this one as the ext warr co will most likely do a buyout. I did offer to purchase it for parts should they do so so I could experiment with it. I guess moreover I am looking for more information for future troubleshooting as well as with this issue in particular. With a reciprocating compressor one would expect pressures to be a in certain parameters depending on environmental conditions. Knowing those parameters and comparing them to what is happening allows you to determine performance and faults. Certainly variable speed / liner compressors / systems should have their own set of expected behaviours and pressures which would allow you to do the same as with the recrip ones. I can't find any info on the web and nor can I find good tech data on LG's tech site.

Opinions please. Thanks
25 Years in the biz. 9 years LG authorized.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

GE or LG ?
Does this Fridge have a model number ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

What is "ncoo" ?

does this system use a capillary tube or expansion valve to control refrigerant flow ?

does this system use a head pressure control of some other control to regulate high and or low pressure ?
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics