Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Help troubleshooting treadmill with GE 1/2 hp motor

scconsulting

Ok, I know the first answer to this is : take it to a junkyard or scrap the metal. But I am determined to make this work regardless if it makes sense or not at this point. Now that that's out of the way...This is an old treadmill from like 1988, and it worked until about 5 seconds before I loaded it up and brought it home. Didn't really see a spark or flash or anything, it just stopped like a normal stop if you pushed the stop button. I picked up a new relay because it was just a few bucks and they had it at my local elect.supply store. I swapped it in with no results. I've checked pretty much every wire and switch that I could with an ohm meter. But I don't understand what the relay does inside or why it's there. Or how the stop button works (whether pushing it is supposed to open or close the switch, but right now the way it is wired it opens the switch when you push it. The master power is closed in the on position and open in the off position. The "start" bump switch is closed when you push it and open when you let go. The "reset" breaker doesn't seem to do anything, but it meters closed and I bypassed it once an tried that with no result. I read on another site to rotate the motor manually and see if it produces voltage, and it does. So I don't know where to start next. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics and sadly hand drawn wiring detail....I can post the drawings with more detail, but with the 500K limit this is all I can post for now.

post-75560-0-20929100-1349994370_thumb.j

post-75560-0-11922500-1349994371_thumb.j

post-75560-0-17430400-1349994372_thumb.j

post-75560-0-05240700-1349994373_thumb.j

post-75560-0-09882900-1349994374_thumb.j

post-75560-0-15581100-1349994375_thumb.j

post-75560-0-11145700-1349994376_thumb.j

post-75560-0-10372900-1349994377_thumb.j

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scconsulting

• RegUS_PatOff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

need better images of the (2) wiring diagrams

upload them somewhere ( http://imageshack.us )

free... no need to register (free), unless you want to keep track of your uploads

then post the links here

If you still need them better I will try the imageshack deal, just let me know. Thanks a bunch for the quick response. Whether we get this or not, you are awesome for trying, I really appreciate it.

If you still need them better I will try the imageshack deal,

I can't understand the wiring diagram symbols..

Need an actual picture of the bottom of the Relay (and part number)

click on picture

RM705615_sml.jpg

With the Main Power Switch ON

and the Start Switch momentarily pushed ON

The Relay should energize, and stay energized unless the Stop Switch is pushed

When the Relay is energized, there should be 120v AC at the Motor:

Red to White

It's getting late, I will try tomorrow to see if the relay energizes when I close the start switch. And just to clarify when the stop button is pushed it is supposed to open? and this is what you are saying will de-energize the relay? thanks again, I will check back tomorrow.

... when the stop button is pushed it is supposed to open?

... will de-energize the relay?

1) yes

2) yes

Well I got it fixed....and I feel like a total idiot. I knew in my heart everything was metering out correctly...just didn't trust myself. Turns out the main power cable running from the motor up to the panel had a big chunk out of it. In some speed positions I guess it was chaffing on the main drive pulley. Looked like a rat chewed through half the cable...I never saw it because it was in a tiny dark hard to access gap. So I cut it, stripped the 3 wires and reconnected them with the twister type caps...taped it up and boom...fired right up first time I hit the switch. I want to thank you again for the help...Even though it was a simple problem, I would have just given up before I found it if I hadn't found your site. It's totally awesome, and I'm glad I paid for a membership. Maybe we can dig into my toaster in the next month or so! LOL! Can't thank you enough... :dazzler::thumbsup::thanks::rocker: :rocker: :rocker::thanks::thumbsup::dazzler::woohoo: