Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Old School...Help Needed. Frigidaire Double Wall Oven #RGCF97EW

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:george killian (Irish Red)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

HelloooOOO- Samarailand......

Well, Im back with new adventures!!! Today I ran across an Old school Frigidaire Double wall oven, Model # RGCF97ew. The top oven wasnt heating in bake or broil. The light comes on and off like its supposed to and the fan blower fan comes on when You turn the selector knob. It appears everything is working but the heat. So... WHERES THE HEAT??????

Both bake and broil elements look to be in good condition (as is the rest of the oven), but when I opened up the face to get to the switches and tstats... WHAT A MESS!!!!!! Wires were Everywhere. And the parts I saw... Well lets just say- Im just not THAT old!!! Anyhue... I need some help with understanding this one and finding out if theres a reset on it or not. FRIGIDAIRE Couldnt help. They have no info on this one. (yes Im authorized). ITs a pretty cool oven. The owner would like to keep it and I would LUVVVV to fix this one if possible. ANY OLD SCHOOL TECHS OUT THERE WANNA SHARE THEIR WISDOM?????? This 'Young(er) skewl' Tech wants to learn......

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Parts are coming up NLA - does the lower oven work? Did you verify 240v supply ?

Looks like capillary thermostats - might have a diagram pasted on it (on back or inner panel etc)

p.s.- the oven is younger than I am
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Does this have a mechanical clock? If so is there a manual setting. Do you have a wiring diagram?

So kdog you remember frigidaire "flair" models?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Not in particular, but I remember many ovens with mechanical t'stats, T.R.O's,T.R.C's etc. Also remember wasting time to inspect them only to find a bad fuse/breaker/wire connection etc
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

Flairs had two side by side ovens that had clear glass doors that pulled forward and hinged up. The monotube surface elements slid out on a drawer.

Attached Files

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

RGCF97EW c1987
listed at http://www.searspart...shdMod=RGCF97EW

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Some of these old units also had hot wire relays.
Scott Wolf

#8 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

Yes Kdog, the lower oven works fine. The owner would like to keep the oven and is willing to lose his lower oven if it is the Tstats. Im just kinda stumped over how to go about this one. The wiring behind the controls are a full fledge mess and as much as I would like to assist in geting his top oven working again... well... Im a bit intimidated. Scared I mite mess sumpin up!!! But I like the challanges and would like to get sum old school wisdom. Plus, Its a cool lookn oven. and should b KEPT workn.

NCARepair... the clock is digital. behind it looks like 3 relays. wish i woulda took pix. mayb ill go back and do that. But RegUS's diagram (at Sears) shows it. (Sort of)... and NO KDog - didnt verify 240v. said I would do that when I came back. But wouldnt that affect BOTH ovens if there was a problem, or does the voltage split? If not,Besides at the plug and terminal strip on oven, where else would I b looking for 240V? WHUT WOULD YOU GUYS (or Ladies) DO??? Question.... whats a" hot wire relay"??? what was/is it used for??? And is THAT what is behind the clock????

#9 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

P.S. Now that Flair oven is one cool lookn oven too.......

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

A hot wire relay is used to cycle the high amperage circuits, (heating elements), using a low/110 volt signal from the t-stat. When the 110 volts is supplied to the hot wire relay a bi-metal will heat up causing the contacts for the element/s that it controls to close, energizing the elements. Keeps the high amperage load off the t-stat cycling contacts.

Here's what a "Hot Wire Relay" is and looks like:

http://www.repaircli.../414589/1015826
Posted Image

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 13 October 2012 - 06:13 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Thanx for the knowledge B.A.R., I dont recall running across one of these before. Guess I'll be doin some research...

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

They were used mostly in the old GE's and Frigidaires. This one that I found to show you what they are is a Bosch part - I've never worked on a Bosch range/oven so don't if it is something that is commonly found on Bosch ranges/ovens or not.

An older Whirlpool built-in oven that I worked on recently had what looks exactly like a RobertShaw infinite switch but without any shaft - basicly the same function of this hot wire relay that you are asking about, the RobertShaw infinite switch style hot wire relay is also used in Thermador ovens.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#13 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well, as we always say..."if ya want some old school knowledge, yea gotta go to Willie!"

Er...maybe we don't say this...but its true.

Yeppers, I have revived many a Thermador pro range with a hot wire relay, but it usually looks like the one in the photo.
easy to diagnose, though. If you are getting yer coil voltage from the Tstat, but she wont close...slam dunk.
not sure if this dinosaur has one,

My gmaws old house has one of those "lift up-pullout" friggys...beautiful machine. Still works except the clock...

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 15 October 2012 - 02:24 AM.

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#14 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Where's WIllie????

#15 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

The one and only....budget appliance repair himself...you already got him.
thus the dig on his age....

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 14 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#16 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Cool!!! I feel smarter already!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics