Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Using Temperature Data Loggers to Solve Elusive Refrigerator Temperature Problems

refrigerator temperature data logger supco

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've run into a couple of situations lately where I realized that I needed a way to log temperature data inside a refrigerator for at least 24 hours to get a clear picture of what's going on inside that box. Now, for the first time ever in theaters, the Samurai reveals his personal technique for capturing and logging temperature changes inside a refrigerator or freezer. Topics covered include:

- Why use a temperature data logger?

- Which temperature data logger does the Samurai use?

- How do you set up and use a temperature data logger?

- Interpreting temperature data logger data and graphs

Here's the temperature data logger that I use:

http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

and you'll need this software kit to get the data to your Windows PC:

http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

You can find whatever appliance part you need through the parts search box right here at The Appliantology Academy. No harm in buying and trying with our 365-day, no-hassle return policy, even on electrical parts that were installed!

Subscribe to our FREE, award-winning newsletter, Appliantology: The Oracle of Appliance Enlightenment ==> http://newsletter.appliantology.org and download your free report on appliance brand recommendations! Every issue is jam-packed with appliance repair tips and inside information direct from the Samurai's fingertips to your engorged and tingling eyeballs.

The Appliance Guru provides prompt, convenient service in the following towns in New Hampshire: New London, Elkins, Wilmot, Springfield, Georges Mills, Sunapee, Mt. Sunapee, Newbury, Sutton, Bradford, Warner, Grantham, and the Eastman Community. Visit our website for more info and a discount coupon on your next service call ==> http://applianceguru.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Excellent idea. Thanks Samurai.

#3 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch Beer and Canadian Whisky

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Is there one that also gives amps?

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Is there one that also gives amps?

click on picture
41w8qtafR8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OR

cumulative energy monitor

click on picture
41I8LHj5wJL._AA160_.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Oceti

Oceti

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch Beer and Canadian Whisky

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Thank you.

Rufus Columus (Red Neck)

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,556 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

For speed, efficiency and to be able to check switcher behavior in dual evap fridges, it's a good idea to have two loggers or a two channel logger like the one the Samurai uses. Provide them with identical settings and place one in each compartment. I already owned one supco sl300th logger and purchased another so i could do both compartments or even two standard fridges at the same time. Maybe one day i can get the advanced version The Samurai has. The small model I use can be set on standby and placed in a little pocket in my toolbag, awaiting to be used at a moments notice.

An added benefit of having a logger is to use it as a "punter"... ie I have no idea what's going in this fridge... got to ask the folks on Appliantology... so i tell the customer "I need to data log your fridge for a few days".. pull out the logger, press the button... and signal a temporary, yet face saving, retreat.

The sl300th also does humidity. I probably could have saved money if i only got the sl300t model without humidity monitoring, unless someone explains to me what i'm looking for when reading the humidity graph.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

Just pulled the trigger and ordered. Guess I can play with it on my fridge to sharpen skills. I run into situations occassionally where this can possibly give me an option other than just start replacing parts.

Test

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,556 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

With a logger, at least if you must pull out the part changing tactic , you'll appear more professional and informed.. . ie... "data logging suggests we should try xyz first then try zyx second." If you do that while pointing to random points on the graph, your customer will think you are a genius instead of being the parts changing monkey we sometimes must be.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 18 December 2013 - 06:54 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

With a logger, at least if you must pull out the part changing tactic , you'll appear more professional and informed.. . ie... "data logging suggests we should try xyz first then try zyx second." If you do that while pointing to random points on the graph, your customer will think you are a genius instead of being the parts changing monkey we sometimes must be.

That's funny cause that's why I hesitated to even purchase one. I knew if initially I had checked things out correctly then data logger or not I'd still end up guessing. Or at least that's how I felt. But, your point hits the mark! At least I can triple check myself. And I will look damned good guessing.

At least I'll have done all that I can. Might even catch someone leaving a door open.

Test

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Here's a good example case where a temperature data logger was key to diagnosing the real problem:  http://appliantology...e-sub-zero-532/

#11 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Here's a good example case where a temperature data logger was key to diagnosing the real problem:  http://appliantology...e-sub-zero-532/

I could have never figured that 1 out with 6 data loggers. That's what I like about this site, you can get fresh eyes on a problem.

Test

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator, temperature, data logger, supco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics