Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duuet Mod#WFW8400TW00 wont go into hi speed spin

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

This unit wont go into Hi speed spin. I ohmed motor it ohmed good. The tech sheet says its either a motor or MCU. During spin it will drain fine, it will tumble back and forth but never go into a hi speed spin. All it does in spin is alternately drain for awhile and tumble over and over till time expires. There is no error codes stored or displayed. I think its the MCU what do you guys think?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

What does it do in diagnostic mode?
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

What does it do in diagnostic mode?

Same thing. It drains, spins a little while slowly, starts to speed up a little, stops, drains , then does it all over again and again. Almost like it wants to spin. With no error code. The diagnostic runs through all the tests fine, but no hi speed spin it just does the same thing I indicated above.

Edited by deezus, 14 October 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#4 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hmmm - did you check the wires between the motor and MCU for continuity? If all is well in the wiring and the motor Ohm's out correct (you checked the tach as well, right?), then it's a crap shoot. The CCU is what tells the MCU what to do ... but the MCU sends the feed to the motor - either one could be the issue. I would start with MCU as that is where the most problems have been with this unit.

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Link to Part
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hmmm - did you check the wires between the motor and MCU for continuity? If all is well in the wiring and the motor Ohm's out correct (you checked the tach as well, right?), then it's a crap shoot. The CCU is what tells the MCU what to do ... but the MCU sends the feed to the motor - either one could be the issue. I would start with MCU as that is where the most problems have been with this unit.

That's what I have done in the past but I usually had an error code. All the wiring is fine. What is and where is the Tach?

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Located in here:   http://www.repaircli...ber=WFW8400TW00

Drive-Motor-W10140581-01339922.jpg

See techsheet for terminal numbers

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

The tach is part of the motor. It is the two end wires and should measure something like 120 ohms (double check that as I'm going by memory.) If you can see the wires where they go into the internal part of the motor, the tach ones are usually red.

#9 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

The tach is part of the motor. It is the two end wires and should measure something like 120 ohms (double check that as I'm going by memory.) If you can see the wires where they go into the internal part of the motor, the tach ones are usually red.

I unplugged motor and ohmed it out though. It ohmed 6.3 ohms. Your saying the motors tach could be bad but motor fine?

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Tach is in the end bell of motor - seen here with the red wires as described:

Posted Image

#11 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Tach is in the end bell of motor - seen here with the red wires as described:

Posted Image

I saw those wires. But if tach is bad then I need a new motor? And is 120 ohms correct? What is proper ohms? Thanks.

Edited by deezus, 14 October 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#12 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yes. When you check the motor, you are checking between pins 1-2, 1-3 and 2-3 all for approx 6 ohms. Those are the motor windings. Pins 4-5 (or is it 5-6 with a blank in position 4, can't remember), anywho, the last two pins are the tach. If the tach is out of spec, the motor will not spin at correct speeds. It can do other wierd things too by confusing the CCU.

Yes, the tach is internal on the motor which means the whole motor needs to be replaced if tach is bad.

#13 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes. When you check the motor, you are checking between pins 1-2, 1-3 and 2-3 all for approx 6 ohms. Those are the motor windings. Pins 4-5 (or is it 5-6 with a blank in position 4, can't remember), anywho, the last two pins are the tach. If the tach is out of spec, the motor will not spin at correct speeds. It can do other wierd things too by confusing the CCU.

Yes, the tach is internal on the motor which means the whole motor needs to be replaced if tach is bad.

Thank you. Do you know the correct ohms?

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Somewhere in another post 116 ohms is mentioned - so his foggy memory of 120 sounds accurate - must be the low altitude

#15 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

If Kdog posted the correct picture, then that one is approx 120 ohms for sure.

#16 deezus

deezus

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

If Kdog posted the correct picture, then that one is approx 120 ohms for sure.

Thanks. Ill let you know what I find.

#17 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hey Deezus, The tach is short for tachometer. It measures the motor revolution speed to send back to the ccu as a feedback to calculate the motor speed. If it is bad or has a loose connection it could cause your problem. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics