Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baumgrenze

Viking V241 Vacuum - Wiring Polarity

1 post in this topic

I asked for help with a repair manual (wiring diagram) for this Swedish Electrolux, AKA Volta U241, on the Repair Manual Forum. I hope this is not offensive cross-posting, as I did put these questions there, too.

I am repairing a Swedish Electrolux cannister vacuum. For certain it can either be a Viking 241 or a Volta U241. I found one 'equivalants' page that said it might also be an Electrolux MV 131, but I've not confirmed that with an image. The manufacturing date is approximately 1983. These machines are 'rocks.'

Might a Swedish manufacturer wire a black/white conductor cord with white as hot and black as neutral?

This machine has a cord retractor. The cord connection terminals are marked "L" and "N" but, as you can see, the white conductor is connected to "L" and the black is connected to "N."

Has anyone encountered this on other European small appliances?

I would like to be 'safe' and run the hot lead through the switch.

I've also attached two small images related to a 'variable power' feature of the vacuum. The first, from the “Instructions for Use" shows that in one switch position, 110V is applied to the motor and in the second, motor speed is controlled by a slider switch attached to the module shown in the "Electronics" image. I can slide the PC board out and photograph both sides if that would help identify how this 1980's 'motor speed control' works.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

post-34306-0-30173400-1350411830_thumb.j

post-34306-0-52331400-1350412146_thumb.j

post-34306-0-05788400-1350412303_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!