Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

FDR252RBS1 pump ate itself

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cowboy Coffee

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Konichiwa Y'all,

Got an Electrolux 18" dishwasher in a rental house where the tenant reported finding broken glass in the bottom of the tub and then a week or three later that the machine no longer ran but instead just made a horrible noise. Took a look (took it out and brought it home, actually, one good thing about an 18" unit), and sure enough, looks like enough junk got into the pump that many of the plastic bits are shredded. For example, the impeller in the bottom of the Lower Wash Arm Support (890314) is torn up good enough that it bears replacing. The motor appears to be fine.

Where the worst damage occurred, however, is where the metal motor shaft broke free of the plastic shaft it was pressed into and burned out a big hole in the end. And what appears to be an air impeller that cools the motor is also loose and spun bad enough that it's hole is all melted out. The horrible noise the tenant reported was was the air impeller flailing free on the metal shaft and screeching accordingly.

Does the "seal kit" (916856) I see on the parts site include that plastic shaft?

And is there anyway to get that air impeller part ?All the parts sites I see only show it as part of the motor. Or just hot glue or epoxy that torn up sucker on there and and spin it up to true it? Or just leave it off and plan on that motor having a shorter and toastier life?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

... Does the "seal kit" (916856) I see on the parts site include that plastic shaft?

R0211094-00004.png

looks like it does
# 36 Seal Kit w/ Sleeve
http://www.repaircli...rtDetail/916856

Seal-Kit-154387601-00831010.jpg

# 38 Diffuser
http://www.repaircli...rtDetail/890314

Lower-Wash-Arm-Support-154367402--006404

and # 12 ?
Impeller
http://www.repaircli...rtDetail/890308

Drain-Impeller-154365401--00662669.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

I hoped so based on the picture for the seal kit. But a close look at the plastic part of the seal kit doesn't much look like the squared/splined plastic bit I need, and a closer look at the jillion dollar motor shows the blower and the splined shaft on the motor.

I'm thinking I might really need that blower/shaft?

Edited by Randini, 17 October 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

You're going to need to order the complete motor/pump assembly. These are one of the biggest pieces of garbage for a dishwasher.

You break something, a small piece of glass or other debris gets down into the drain impeller and stops it and the plastic motor shaft that it is keyed to strips out. No way to repair the stripped out motor shaft except to replace the complete motor/pump assembly.

Just did some research and it appears part# 154582601 which used to be the complete motor and pump assembly with new drain impeller and seals from part ref#10 on down to the motor itself is no longer available and subs to just the motor ref#18/part#5304459468.

So now to repair a stripped out motor shaft and drain impeller you will need to order ref#12-drain impeller,#18-motor and #36-seal kit.

The plastic shaft shown with the seal kit is NOT the plastic motor shaft, that is a protective shipping sleeve to keep the two seal halves together in shipping and storage. The white plastic piece is removed before trying to install the seals.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,450 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Circulation and drain pump motor (Item 18) ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=FDR252RBS1

Posted Image

#6 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

$210. Hello landfill. Frustrating.

#7 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

OK, found the motor on sears partdirect for $100. Just low enough to be worth considering. Still high enough to suck. Still seems silly to throw out a perfectly good motor because I need the plastic bit that sits on it.

Anyone got an opinion on whether the thing is worth fixing?

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

sears ... that may or may not be the current price ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Assuming $100? Worth fixing? The thing was built in 2004.

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Did some more looking after posting yesterday morning and found Sears Parts Direct still stocks the original complete motor/pump assembly part# 154582601 for only $126.59 and the complete motor/pump assembly includes much more then I posted above, (it includes everything from ref#17-impeller screw down to ref#18-motor, just have to swap the spray tower diffuser).

Anytime you order from Sears Parts Direct use the discount code "PARTS" on the first page of check out where it says enter discount code right under your shopping cart line items, (click the enter discount code and enter the word PARTS in the box and click 'Apply' for a 10% discount - would save you $12.66 almost the amount of shipping).

Complete motor/pump assembly part# 154582601
FR

Edited by Mrs. Samurai, 12 May 2013 - 03:24 PM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Sweet! Now I just need to call my wife to bring it in from the curb!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics