Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

JoeIsuzu

KUIS155HBS1 Ice Machine -- Not Cool

29 posts in this topic

I started this topic in 2008 on the old forum. I never did finish troubleshooting it, and now the manual is gone.

Symptom: Ice is not cut into cubes, but lies on top of cutter grid until melted.

I have removed the cutter grid and tested the socket. It is putting out about 9.3v. For some reason, I was thinking it should be 17v but without a wiring diagram, I don't know.

The grid itself seems to have continuity. I don't know how much resistance to expect.

Suggestions?

Jack

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

looks good

8.75v AC

Grid should be 4 Ω to 5 Ω

Wiring Sheet - 2185734.pdf

link PM'd

service manual

http://appliantology...5-18-icemakers/

The grid is showing 6.5 Ω if I have my Harbor Freight multi-meter set correctly.

Thanks.

Jack

should be close enough ...

Meter on the 200 OHM scale

and ir reads "0.00" when the probes are touched together ?

I removed all connections, and cleaned off some scale. Noticed that on every connection, the wire was screwed down against the plastic bracket, with the screw head AND a wire terminal connector pressing down on it. I moved the wire in between the terminal and the screw head, so it has metal-to-metal contact (rather than metal against plastic). Resistance dropped to 5.4 Ω. I'm going to give that a try. If that doesn't work, I'll order a new grid, or at least new element wire.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll update here with results.

Jack

Update:

New problems, now. The drain pump has a crack in the plastic chamber that has the sensor switch. I sealed it with some RTV for now. The drain pump is working properly.

The cutter grid seems to be fine, after cleaning and re-connecting the leads.

Now, after sitting unused for 4.5 years, the evaporator plate is not getting cold. I could not tell if the compressor is operating. I don't attempt DIY repairs on refrigeration. It's over my head. :(

I know I need to replace all the hoses and probably the water distributor due to mold. I'm trying to determine if this is worth repairing, or should I replace the whole thing now...probably about $1,500 for replacement, including the drain pump.

Input is welcome.

Thanks.

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu

HELP!

I called a local repair guy and he found that the system was low on refrigerant. The system is sealed, so he put a saddle valve on and added some. It made ice, but the cutter grid still didn't cut the ice.

So I replaced the cutter grid and some pricey hoses because the were über moldy. It took about a week to get them. I installed everything today, and cleaned out the whole machine.

Now, no cool. It just circulates water.

I don't mess with refrigeration, but I can't seem to find competent people who do. What's my next step?

Thanks.

Jack

Anybody? Since the original question is solved, I guess I could start a new topic with the appropriate Subject.

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu

My KitchenAid was turned off for about 4.5 years due to the cutting grid not working, and I didn't have time to troubleshoot it. I've now replaced the cutting grid and moldy hoses, but it no longer cools. The chiller plate makes nice cold water, but not ice. I had a repairman who added some refrigerant (and a saddle valve) and it worked for a few days.

I suspect it needs a compressor, but I don't know. I don't have the equipment to do refrigeration work, and I seem to be having trouble finding anyone willing and competent to fix it.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Jack

Note to Mods: I posted another topic about this machine, but it was mainly related to the cutting grid. It may be helpful for background info, so you may want to combine them. I was no longer getting replies, so I decided to start a separate new topic with an updated Subject.

is the Compressor running ?

or trying to run ?

If it worked for a while after he charged it...you have a leak, most likely in the evaporator...

not an easy job...or cheap if ya can find someone to do it.

is the Compressor running ?

or trying to run ?

Yes.

If it worked for a while after he charged it...you have a leak, most likely in the evaporator...

not an easy job...or cheap if ya can find someone to do it.

I just spent about $200 on a cutter grid and hoses. If not for that, I'd probably go ahead and replace the machine.

How much money are we talking about, and how do I locate someone who is qualified to fix it correctly?

Thanks.

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu

$200 for the evap ...need a drier also...any authorized WP servicer should be able to do this...wouldn't be out of line to get $300-500 For the labor on this job.

I get $400 in NC...

bear in mind, the leak may be else where, but in my experience, the evap is most likely.

the servicer should look before he leaps..

Topics merged

Oops, merging the topic apparently canceled out that I was following this topic. I guess I wasn't following the original one. But it's all good, I'm following now.

$200 for the evap ...need a drier also...any authorized WP servicer should be able to do this...wouldn't be out of line to get $300-500 For the labor on this job.

I get $400 in NC...

bear in mind, the leak may be else where, but in my experience, the evap is most likely.

the servicer should look before he leaps..

Thanks for the advice.

So we're up to maybe $550-$750 parts, labor, tax, etc. if it's the evaporator. I've sunk about $200 in parts already that are not returnable.

So...cut my losses and spring for a new one (maybe $1,500)?

Or fix this one?

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu

I would buy a new one, either a Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid. The Scottsman's are junk, so are the ULine's.

I would buy a new one, either a Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid. The Scottsman's are junk, so are the ULine's.

Thanks for the feedback.

If I bought a new one, I was leaning toward those brands--I'm assuming the new hoses and cutter grid would eventually come in handy.

Anybody else agree/disagree?

Thanks.

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu

I disagree vehemently about the scottsman...very well made, reliable machine.

especially if you get the dce33 model...ALL analog...no control boards, as it has been for over 50 years...unline does suck.

What about a Maytag? My dealer has a Maytag that's about $400 less than the KitchenAid, and he thinks it uses the same hoses and grid as my old one. He says that even though Whirlpool owns Maytag, they have separate factories. I can get the Maytag for $1,099. That's without a pump, but I can re-use my old pump for now.

Jack

Model # of the maytag?

Model # of the maytag?

He didn't say, so I'll have to check on it. As a brand, are they okay? I just assumed the model # would be more about features and trim. FWIW, it's a 15" under-counter model with a stainless door, and makes square cubes.

Thanks.

Jack

What about a Maytag?

model number may help

That's why I need the model....not aware of any other im's that it could be branded maytag except the WP style...if so that's a good deal.

jennair had a few models that were marvel built...not good.

That's why I need the model....not aware of any other im's that it could be branded maytag except the WP style...if so that's a good deal.

jennair had a few models that were marvel built...not good.

I'll run by this afternoon and take a look. I was surprised at that price, since it's well below anything AJ Madison has and they're usually well below my local stores.

Jack