Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG wm3987hw drying cycle much too wet

LG washer dryer combo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scambor

scambor

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have the LG wm3987hw combo unit. I had issues with drying cycle, and after some online research, took apart the drying unit and removed a nice ball of sodden lint from the bottom of the condensing unit. Normal drying effectiveness resumed for a few weeks, then problems started again. Clothes came out of drying even wetter than they went in.
I obtained the service manual for the 3988hwa unit which is similar (being unable to locate the 3987 manual anywhere), and ran through all the resistance testing on the thermistors, the fan, the coil -- all check out OK. Nevertheless, too much water seemed like it must be due to a faulty valve, so I ordered a replacement for the 5220fr2008e coldwater valve assembly unit. I got a box and a shipping slip indicating that part number, but inside it is a unit that looks the same but the part number ends with an F instead of E. I hooked it up and got same too-wet results. I have ordered another E unit from a different seller. So, here's the questions: should an F unit work in this machine? What is different about the F unit's white nozzle insert and the E unit's yellow insert ? Other than color, the inserts look the same. Is there another piece that is supposed to sit between the insert and the hose, in order to make a mist? Lastly, in response to a similar issue discussed elsewhere in this forum, there is some mention of a water level sensor that may be faulty. Where is that located and how do I check it?
Thanks to all, this is a great forum, I have learned a lot already.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

The original COLD WATER VALVE part number was: 5220FR2008E

Current part number is: 5220FR2008F

Other part numbers used were: 5221FR1002B & 5220FR2008L

<<<I hooked it up and got same too-wet results.>>>

If the SERIAL NUMBER begins with a 9 or lower number (indicates year-of-manufacture)---most likely the DRAIN MOTOR is becoming worn/slow. The Drain Motor is used for both the WASH and DRYING cycles (faster wear & tear).

Part number for DRAIN MOTOR: 4681EA2001T

Posted Image
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics