Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire stack washer FEX831CS0

Transmission loud

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Lower block can be seen in this picture - don't see any listings for the block or bearing

http://www.repaircli...7711&locID=1917

Gearcase-Housing-131557800-00577712.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Old Style "Slinky" spring:  http://www.repaircli...03161174/616279

Spring-5303161174-00951890.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#23 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Here are previous postings that were mentioned:

http://appliantology...her-spin-noise/

BTW - did you check to see if the shipping bolt has ever been removed ?

#24 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Frigidaire called that the "LGS" spring. Lock, Grab and Spin. OMG, I'm dating myself. I used to work for Frigidaire back in the day when they called it WCI Consumer Services. I'm getting old.
Scott Wolf

#25 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

Trying to scare me. If they sell a replacement bearing it has to come off some how & by the picture it does not look to difficult. I'll find out. Would never know if I don't try. What do I have to lose, $100 plus in cash & some time. Parts are on the way, Ain't backing out of it. If it does not work out, the complete transmission with lower bearing is less than $300, I'll have a completed repair that will make the customer happy & I am out my time but not any cash. Learning experience is priceless in my opinion.

As far as the dryer goes, if I could not repair the washer he was going to use the dryer separately any way.
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#26 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe that bearing is for the old style Slinky spring - the newer transmission is mfr'd different - here is the breakdown:

Posted Image

#27 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

The tranny has a longer lower bearing shaft that goes thru the plate. There is no oil slung around, the basket rotates both direction, the motor comes up to full speed, the unit roars like a freight train, when turning by hand there is a clicking sound every now & then, thepully slips in one direction but turns the trans I belive in a clockwise direction. I will be tearing into it sometime after the 6th, when the parts show up.
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#28 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe that bearing is for the old style Slinky spring - the newer transmission is mfr'd different - here is the breakdown:

Kdog, that bearing I linked to is for the newer transmissions with the one way bearing not the transmission with the LGS spring. I didn't know it was even available and it's not listed in any of the parts break downs. I found it when searching Ebay for the transmission.

Also, it appears from the parts breakdown that you posted, the plastic "lower transmission block sleeve" goes in the bottom of the bearing block. I'm pretty sure the bearing is just pressed onto the lower transmission shaft and into the lower bearing block.

A bearing separator, (available at Harbor Freight), maybe the way to go to get the old bearing and block off the lower transmission shaft.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#29 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Getting my ducks lined up. Thanks everybody, keep the input coming, I love this site. A challenge is very stimulating especially at my age. Yea buddy. :thanks:
IgonFishn

#30 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Update. Parts came today, I went on the attack. Thanks KDOG for the electric box/spring trick & everything else. I've fought a lot of springs in my day, these large springs were a fight also, but with the tip you gave it was much easier (I did not say easy) Basket assembly is out. I have picture before & after. Next I tackle getting the tranny out of the basket, then off the bottom cradle. I am busy next few days hope to attack again Saturday late. Customer is fantastic, supportive, young guy who is not mechanically inclined, appreciates mechanics/technicians. (side note we need more like him) :thumbsup:

If some one ( Hint: Samurai :samurai: You tube, picture posting producer) could blog video how to edit a video to post, pictures to the posting pics/videos/editing illiterates, i would attempt to post to enlighten others on how to take on time consuming jobs. :blinky:

As it is I am not going to make a lot of cash to work ratio, I am doing something I really like to do, The satisfaction of a job well done cannot be measured, everything else, that's what MasterCard is for :yes: :thumbsup: :teehee: :rocker: Peace love dove.......More to come, stay tuned :teehee: :samurai: :teehee:
IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics