Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Windows 8: Is it Great?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Anyone running Windows 8 yet? Whatcha think: good? bad? ugly? Worth the upgrade? I'm currently running Windows 7 on my refurbished laptop and I really like it. Will it be a big adjustment to Windows 8?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Not me, I'll stick with windows 7 and I still have the original Nintendo. :yes:

#3 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

in gonna stick with mac

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Me, too. I usually use either my iPhone, iPad, or iMac for my web work, including this forum. But I need my Windows machine for some things and I've found Windows 7 to be a pleasant working platform.

Was reading more about Windows 8 and it turns out you really need touch features to take full advantage of it. That aspect of it really appeals to me but my refurbished Lenovo is not a suitable candidate and a touch-enabled Windows 8 machine runs close to $1,000. I'll wait for the refurbished ones to hit the market.

For now, I'll stick with Windows 7.

#5 completeapplianceservice

completeapplianceservice

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

Imo, 8 is a waste of money. On desktops, as long as we have mice, touch will be a gimmick at best, except for specialized drawing apps. I can't imagine keeping your arm strectched out over the desk while browsing. Thats really the only feature 8 has over 7, Even when using just the standard interface 8 is more confusing than 7.

#6 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Imo, 8 is a waste of money. On desktops, as long as we have mice, touch will be a gimmick at best, except for specialized drawing apps. I can't imagine keeping your arm strectched out over the desk while browsing. Thats really the only feature 8 has over 7, Even when using just the standard interface 8 is more confusing than 7.

Oh they have touch wireless mouse too now to go with your touch everything else. I just started using Win 7 and it will be a long time before I go with touch stuff. I dont even own a cell phone so touch screen is no big deal to me.

I really hated to give up WinXP that I purchased in 2002 and didnt install till 2007 because I liked Win2000 too much.  LOL

#7 TASII

TASII

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jamaica Me Crazy

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I would stay away from windows 8 right now, I am on the Microsoft Technet program and I have been running it on my software test unit since the alpha release.  I have found several compatibility issues with software.  I get the software for free and I am still using windows 7.

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

I agree that I think it's too soon to tell. It was a shock to me the first time I saw it. My brother ask me to set his new pc up. After 4 hours of working with it (cleaning unwanted crap off it) I was getting the hang of it, I was using the wireless keyboard and mouse, not the touch features. It has a lot more ways for getting from point A to B that I was finding accidently by clicking around, much more intuitive I guess you'd say. I don't know much about technical problems that it my be having, but, I always like to wait awhile for them to get the bugs out.

I think it's going to end up being a nice program once you get past the change. Doesn't even have a  start tab any where, normal found in lower left corner.

Edited by tpoindexter, 16 March 2013 - 09:29 PM.

Test

#9 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sticking with Windows 'Vista"............Works for me ........... :smile: ..

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Still using Windows 7 on my $300 refurbished notebook that I use with my temperature data logger and my Fluke power quality software.  So far, smooth sailing and don't see any reason to change.  

#11 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

We switched to Windows 8 about 4 weeks ago--nothing but nightmares here. The biggest issue: Screen would black out at least once a day--total black!!!!!!!! Touch enable was----really touchy, too many inputs to get things right without working at it with the approach of the finger. Guess we overloaded the computer so it went black??? Windows tech line had no answers.   It's pretty nice when it works, the set up and all, but a product that has some glitches--too early to rely on. We switched back to 7. Running Google Chrome for a browser and Google Drive for PDF conversions sent to the Kindle Fire HD--which I know you will appreciate. 

Edited by Wingerman, 29 March 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#12 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Cast Into the Outer Darkness
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Not something I'd want right now. Like certified, I'm happy with Vista. I had put 7 on my daughters machine but she inherited mommy's old lappy so I gave that machine to a preacher boy friend of mine.

It's a shame you can't get that software to work on your iPad Samurai. Wife got me one a couple of years ago (the first one so how many years was THAT lol) and I've found it to be really handy looking stuff up on the go. I would imagine that were I a "professional" I would use the heck out of it. As it is, I've looked up parts from here at the renters house.

#13 completeapplianceservice

completeapplianceservice

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Windows 7 here, not impressed with 8 at all.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's a shame you can't get that software to work on your iPad Samurai. 

It's Supco and Fluke who make the software for their gizmos and, right now, they're only writing it for Windows-- not Mac OSx or iOS support.  Not a big deal, though, my Lenovo notebook running Windows 7 is a very inexpensive work-around and it's nice to have a Windows computer for site testing.   :ninja:  

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,086 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Don't use my laptop so much since I got my tablet....it currently runs vista and I'm looking to upgrade.....so you guys suggest that I upgrade to 7 as opposed to 8?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#16 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Windows 7 and Vista works great for business but can't imagine using Windows 8 for business application, even with the desktop app.  Loved the iPad in the field using Zmobile software and various app's for tech and parts lookup.  Got Windows 8 on the home laptop and feel like a caveman when using it.

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,086 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ok, how many of you tablet users who don't use windows 8 on your laptop/desktop press icons on your laptop / desktop screen and then for at least a brief moment, wonder why nothing is happening?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I had to buy a new laptop, I fried the hard drive on my last one, letting it get too hot in my work van. I HATE windows 8.

Scott Wolf

#19 MAPS Appliance Repair

MAPS Appliance Repair

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

I have windows 8 on my laptop. it came with it. I upgraded to windows 8.1, had many problems. I went back to windows 8.

#20 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

the word from the tech guys down here is if you are using 7 then going to 8 isnt much advantage

and IMHO if its not broke and doing what you want then why change ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics