Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch dishwasher won't drain

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 funk

funk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I have a Bosch dishwasher SHX4AP02UC/02 that won't drain completely. I have checked the air gap, the drain hose and replaced the pump. What next?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

What do you call COMPLETELY? How much water is left?

#3 funk

funk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I can bail out over a gallon of water.  Tonight the local repair guy came out and rechecked the impeller, the pump, the drain hose and the air gap.  Put it all back together, said he didn't know.  Then told me to call the Bosch repairman.  Closest technician is over 60 miles away.  Suggestions?

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

Time the water fill.

Time the pump out.

Also place the drain hose in a bucket and drain the machine to see if it makes a difference.

As well as see how strong the pump out flow is coming through.

Is the filter clean?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,045 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

What's the part number of the pump you replaced?

Take the drain hose off the pump and blow through it. Does it blow through freely? Or does it feel restricted?

#6 funk

funk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Filter is very clean.  Nothing in the impeller.  Can blow through the drain hose..  Started the dishwasher, initial fill took about 15 seconds.  Ran a cycle.  Did not drain at all. Made a couple of noises - mmmmmbloop, mmmmmbloop, then beeped to signal problem. Drain pump Manufacturer Number 642239.  

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

How old is this dishwasher?   Has the unit ever drained properly?   Did you recently have a new garbage disposer installed in your sink?

Scott Wolf

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,045 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

The correct drain pump for your model is 642239 ==> http://www.repaircli.../611332/1557816

Drain-Pump-611332-01276682.jpg

The impeller vanes have been lengthened to improve draining performance.  

#9 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Did you  remove the drain hose and check the flow???...............Does the drain pump actually operate/spin?????........................When the pump was removed, did you check, either  by looking or feeling into the pump intake housing for any thing caught/stuck?????................I have seen a item caught in the drain line that air passes freely but spins/twists in the water flow to make an almost complete restriction.......... If you have to , pull the unit and check every inch of the drain line........Use a good flashlight and shine from the backside of the hose to see shadows of some thing in the line.............( If  the line is  opaque  ).

#10 funk

funk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Dishwasher is not hooked up to garbage disposal.  Hubby says drain line is clear.  When the pump is attempting to drain, the water is swirling, but nothing at all is draining. It tries for just a few seconds then shuts down. There seems to be no pressure on the drain line whatsoever.  When taken apart there is very minimal water in the drain line.  If I have the part with the smaller impeller (wrong part, per the fermented grand master) would that block the exit orifice to where no water exits?  

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Manual is here: http://appliantology...nta-dishwasher/

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

A couple of things you have to do with Bosch dishwashers with a "no-drain" issue. 

1)  You have to make sure that the drain line just beyond the impeller is clear.  To do this, you'll need something like a 12" long cable tie or a 12" long piece of wire with an exposed end.  Take the cover to the impeller off and thread the cable tie past the impeller.  See if you get "gloop gloop" with some fatty chunks coming to the surface.

2)  You have to watch the drain hose in action.  Take it off the drain and put it into a bucket.  Turn the dishwasher on and hit "cancel-drain".  You might see gurgles, you might see a splash and then nothing, you might see no draining whatsoever. 

Open the door after a while to turn off the pump and examine what's in the bucket.  If you're seeing clear water, there's probably not a clog in the drain line.  But if you're seeing fat globs, hair, remains of bread ties, jar labels, then there's a very good chance the draining issue is outside the pump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics