Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer WJSR2080T5WW control knob problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Harpoon IPA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

The main control knob on this washer will not turn the timer cam to set a cycle, whether pushed in or out. I can actually turn the escutheon behind it and thus start the washer but it takes a lot of perserverance and finger strength and I'm not getting a positive response out of the customer for that approach.

I assume some gear that is supposed to pull in or out of synch is slipping on the shaft or perhaps its plastice teeth are damaged.

My biggest problem right now is a I can't remember how you take the knob off the control. It doesn't seem to pull off and the last time I tried one to hard it came in pieces. But it doesn't seem to thread off either, unless I'm supposed to dissassemble the control panel and get to the back of the control and hold the shaft from the back or . . .

and if it does thread off, right or left thread?

Thanks,

brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

There's a plastic clip behind the knob that needs to be pulled out (can be pulled from one side or pushed from the other) part way, then pull the knob off. Probably the teeth on the back of the knob that engage teeth on the timer are worn out.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 04 November 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Timer part link ==> http://www.repaircli...er=WJSR2080T5WW

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Hopefully they don't need the timer Samurai, these timer hubs don't seem to wear out as easily as the old clam shell timers where you could replace the hub.

At minimum they will need the timer knob, (the teeth on the knob are what wear out most of the time, seem to be brittler plastic then the hub of the timer).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 05 November 2012 - 06:30 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

Timer knob ==> http://www.repaircli...er=WJSR2080T5WW

#6 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

thanks for the responses. sorry, I have to go to my profile or something and set it so I get email when someone replies. somehow my default must be set to no notification. I love to here from the samurais and instead all I get is offers to enlarge some part of my body or another. There is an option on the right that says "follow this topic" which is checked, but maybe thats not enough to get emails. Anybody as familiar with the appliantology control panel as the GE one could chime in here.

I'll look under the knob for the clip. Assume if I could get beside the machine on the control side I could get a look at it. Is it big enough I could do it by feel reaching underneath. Is this like a hairpin cotter or . . . ? are there parts breakdowns anywhere, these might show the clip . . . ? The parts links don't seem to have any diagramatic backup and when I put the model number into the search I just get a listing of various parts but no breakdown.

hopefully the new knob will do it, it seems like a loss of plastic gear teeth.

thanks,

brian

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

thanks for the responses. sorry, I have to go to my profile or something and set it so I get email when someone replies. somehow my default must be set to no notification. I love to here from the samurais and instead all I get is offers to enlarge some part of my body or another. There is an option on the right that says "follow this topic" which is checked, but maybe thats not enough to get emails. Anybody as familiar with the appliantology control panel as the GE one could chime in here.

Your notifications are set up properly. The problem is that your ISP, Cox, along with others, like Comcast, AOL, SBCGlobal, are blocking emails from this site. The work around is to get a Gmail account and change your account email to that. And you should complain to Cox for blocking your emails!

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

The link to the timer knob already provided, clearly shows the clip on the back of the knob.

Eric

#9 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

The link to the timer knob already provided, clearly shows the clip on the back of the knob.

Eric

got it. i didn't see the additional pictures. small screen, guess i should have screen envy.

I figured it out by looking underneath the knob and figured it had to be more or less like the 'jesus clip' don't know where that name came from on car window handles.

unfortunately, the teeth are not gone on either piece but some minor displacement, can't tell if its from operator error or what because nothing looks really wracked, of the time from its mount appears to be preventing the circular boss on the back of the knob from pushing into the round cutout from the metal dashboard so that the teeth cannot engage. Well have to dismember the control panel and see if I can note any displacement but the spindle seems off center of the hole.

Additionally, the locator tab for the indicator escutheon does not seem to really fit well into the relief shape on the timer itself and trying to understand how they are supposed to mate i broke that tab off (well it didn't break it, but i weakened it and so I need a new escutcheon for sure even if all I need to do otherwise is correct the mounting of the timer or drill a bigger hole in the metal control panel.

I just thought there was a more convenient link to parts blowups, because while I can see the clip in the know diagram, my first instinct is to go to the full parts diagrams to see the part in context. I'm pretty sure that either appliantology or repair clinic had those but I don't seem to see a convenient link to toggle to the parts diagram, maybe I'm missing that the same way as I missed the additional parts pictures.

thanks,

brian

PS - it is a drag that cox pulls that crap. it is completely unpredictable who they will block and they sometimes block me from sending because I have a lot of friends. I cannot wait to be rid of these bastards although I hate google just as much. they took over the contacts on my cell phone and screwed them all up and I lost important contacts can't restore them, can't get it to leave me alone and just use verizon backup. everyone does something to screw me up in the name of helping protect me from myself. when big corporations start to act like big government it shows you worst of both worlds, although i theory cox and google can ulitimately be brought low by competition. not so sure about the government.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics