Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
miamihoosier

Gas water heater outlet plugged

7 posts in this topic

Just something I've never seen before. The apartment owner reported very low hot water pressure. Cold water fine. Took off the hot water outlet line. The outlet tube in the water heater was almost completely clogged with a sand-type consistency "paste", as best I can describe it. I had to use a screwdriver and vacuum to chip away at it. It must be some type of mineral build-up. Gas water heater on city water. Just wondering if anyone has run across this before?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The dip tube may have disintegrated and created the blockage.

Calcium buildup. Happens all der time. Had a 50 gallon electric 20" deep of it and still working (sort of). Hot water holds less minerals so they have to go somewhere.

Edited by Bullstok

That's why it's a good idea to drain some water out of the bottom Drain Valve every six months ..

(till it runs clear)

Thanks for the input, but this has nothing to do with sediment at the bottom. This has to do with the hot water outlet at the TOP. When I took off the hot water outlet connection at the top, that is where the clog was. Just at the top of the hot water outlet tube, about 1/4" from the top of the outlet. It was about 3/8" thick. Just something I had never seen before.

If enough sediment collects on the bottom, it can become "suspended" in the water ..

Some Tanks actually "swirl" the water (with the shape and placement of the Inlet Tube) as it enters the Tank.

calcium buildup

gets worse in harder water areas