Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
cultofdan

Frigidaire refrigerator

9 posts in this topic

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator model number FRT21NNCWS. The freezer and the refrigerator compartments won't cool down. I have adjusted the controls and it remains the same. I put a thermometer in each compartment, the freezer is at 40 degrees and 50 in the main compartment. When I plug it in it runs continuously like it is trying to cool down and there is a cool breeze in the freezer. Whatever info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

cultofdan

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Your problem dosn't sound good but there is the possibility that your condensor is plugged with dirt and maybe the condensor fan motor isn't running. Take off the grille on the bottom front to check the condensor, then pull out the refrigerator and take off the cardboard panel in back to see if the fan is running. If either one is the problem unplug and let the compressor cool down. If niether one of these is your problem I would be suspecting a bad compressor which is under warranty if under 5 years old.    Good Luck:?

first check behind the back cover in the freezer section if it is frozen up then the machine is not defrosting   heater deftost timer or defrost thermastat will be the cause

If it  isn't frozen then check out the freezer fan motor, could be that the blade is off the motor or that the motor is bad or loose wiring going to the motor:D

On this refrigerator it has the large grid type of condenser on the back and the compressor is running when I plug it in. I shut it off for a few days and plugged it back in and it still is doing the same thing, so I don't think it was frozen up in the freezer. Any other ideas?

If your compressor is running, the evaperator fan motor is running ok and the blade is turning, and the temps are 40 and 50, and you do not have a defrost problem, and the ref. lights are not when the door is closed,  it sounds like you have a sealed system problem, which is a major repair.

That was kinda what I thought but was hoping there might be some other reason.  Is it possible to be low on freon without a leak in the closed system?

[user=558]cultofdan[/user] wrote:

Is it possible to be low on freon without a leak in the closed system?

Nyet, comrade. :nono: Not unless it came from the factory undercharged, in which case, you'da had this problem from dias numero uno.

You may have a real slow leak on the low side of the system, the evaporator and heat exchanger. Frigidaire is also known for restrictions in the heat exchanger. They use a smaller(slightly) diameter cap tube and they can plug up the system. You will need a pro for this job. If it's over 5 years old, I would advise buying a new machine.

I have seen more than a few of these. 

Don't buy a Frigidaire, they are moving production to a new plant in Mexico. They are closing a plant in Michigan and ending 2000+ peoples jobs.

P.S. Frigidaire has a poor sealed system design, I would never recommend their products.

Nick

Yep, go buy yourself a new Whirlpool, or Roper frig. Reasonable in price, the roper is just a Whirlpool without the bells and whistles.  Pegi