Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag French door Refrig MFI2568AES not making ice

How to troubleshoot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 voipman

voipman

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have a Maytag French door Refrigerator with the Ice maker in the Fresh food Section. It is not making ice at this time. Freezer Temp is 0 degrees the Fresh food side is 38 degrees.

Model# MFI256AES Ser# 1196300JLC

There seems to be different componets that enable to Ice maker to make ice.
1. Ice maker
2. Ice box damper
3. Ice box fan
4. Ice box Thermistor

I can't seem to find a servce manual with wiring diagrams. I have a manual with Service diagnostics but how do I know if it's a componet or the PC board in the back. Can some one point me in the right direction on how to trouble shoot this and where I might get the wiring diagram.

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

MFI256AES

maybe
MFI2568AES ?
also, tech sheets depending on the missing 1 or 2 missing numbers at the end of the model number ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 voipman

voipman

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Sorry you are right the I missed a number the Mod# is MFI2568AES but there are no numbers at the end.

thanks

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

MFI2568AES0
Tech Sheet - 12827965.pdf
should be similar

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 voipman

voipman

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I was able to put the icemaker into a harvest mode and ejected ice that's been in there already. At the end of the cycle it filled up with water. The Ice maker has not made ice in weeks. Going into the service mode I was able to get the Ice box fan to go on and off and the damper to open and close. The Ice box thermister is indicating 20 degrees as my thermometer does. It's been my experience that an icemaker needs at least 16 degress or lower to work properly. If this icemaker was in the freezer section it would be much simple er troubleshoot. What is it that is keeping the temperature at 20 degrees?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,034 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Freezer Temp is 0 degrees the Fresh food side is 38 degrees.

The Ice box thermister is indicating 20 degrees as my thermometer does.

What is the difference (method of measurement) between these two temperature measurements?

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

I missed a number the Mod# is MFI2568AES

Added model # to topic title, you may find this download helpful.

Added the full manual to Potluck Supper - will be live soon here: http://appliantology...h-refrigerator/

This may sound stupid, but is the switch in the front of the icebin in the "on" position ?

I recall having freezing issues if it is left on without water attached to fridge, may have been disabled at some point and not turned back on.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Dredging up an old topic but I changed one of the "mid south" style ice makers with the new kit that has the new whirlpool modular ice maker. The ice cubes get caught up on the bail arm assembly. Anybody have experience with this new kit?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,034 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I replaced one earlier this summer.  So far, no problems.  

#10 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ok. The one i changed kept jamming the cubes and finally the motor would not turn. The wire feeler arm at the rear passes through a hole in the fill cup to support it. The small length of wire sticking out of this hole was enough to come into contact with the bottom of the cube and jam the cube there with the finger of the ejector keeping it stuck there. Do you know if the water fill capacity is the same as the mid south ice maker? The cubes were pretty full size and appeared to not have much clearance here added to the fact the feeler arm does not have much space to allow the cubes to drop.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,034 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Did you use the OEM W10519364 kit called out for this model?  If so, sounds like you may have gotten a bad one.  Has it happened to you more than once?  These I/M's only have a 90 day warranty from Whirlpool.  

Not sure on the answer to the fill question.  

#12 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Yes. I only use OEM ice makers.  It lasted about 2 weeks. Picked up another one today. I will see how that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics