Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fix venting fan for GE Microwave JVM250AV001

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hi - I have a GE Spacemaker microwave mounted over the range, model JVM250AV001, made in May 1995. The vent fan vents to the outside of the house, or at least it used to until the fan started making a really awful noise a couple years ago. We figured there was either a physical obstruction in there, or the fan motor had gone bad. It's a bear to take off the wall, so it was a call to the repair place. They told us the fan part is no longer made. So, it's either a service call to hopefully clear an obstruction, or put it back up on the wall since nothing can be done about it. Not worth the money, so as a result, we haven't used the vent fan in about 2 years.

Recently I ran across some models much like this one in a local Habitat for Humanity ReStore shop, which I could pick up for cheap, and pilfer them for parts to repair the one in my house. My question is whether or not this is a good idea. I am reasonably handy but I need some good guidance before I try this out. One of the things I've read is that microwaves can be dangerous due to storing power even when disconnected. So, before I got into this on my own, or even possibly calling a local repair place to see if they'd be up for it, I figured I'd get some input here first. Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

... I could pick up for cheap, and pilfer them for parts to repair the one in my house.

WB26X167
Fan NLA at RepairClinic

some of the GE
JVM2x
JVM3x
JVM4x
JVM5x
JVM6x
series use the same Fan
OR eBay has a new one for about $ 150

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

looking at the photo on e bay of the motor you have , this is not the common motor that i have seen in most Ge microwaves

so be careful when buying a used micro for parts , it may not contain the motor you need

as far as ease of changeing the motor , should be no problem . but i must say , i cant think of a single one of these motor i have ever changed , these just don't go bad
the micro gives up long before there is ever a problem with a worn out motor

Any danger from shock will come from parts on the right side of the micro , just keep your hands out of there and you will be fine , even if you need to remove the cover , just keep you hands/tools clear of the parts on the right

your motor is in the center/rear of the top , it may come out with a few screws without removing anything else and then just unplugs
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#4 scatr

scatr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Guys, thanks for the info - I'll be checking this out. Since you said these rarely (never?) fail, maybe there actually is something in there that's obstructing the fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics