Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MDBTT79AWB d/w leaks at drain pump during wash cycle

Maytag MDBTT79AWB dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi all, I have an almost-10-year-old Maytag MDBTT79AWB which has been leaking for a little while. I got tired of putting a towel in front of it :) so I finally dug in. I noticed the drip coming from the "bell" of the drain pump, right near the drain hose...so I re-seated and tightened the drain hose. Same thing again. Bought a new hose clamp- same problem. Drain hose seems solid. The windings of the drain pump are rather rusted, too, so I don't know if it's leaking from the pump itself or somewhere above (like the tub :( ). There are no external water lines to the upper wash arms on this model, so that's ruled out. The drain pump is near the back, so I don't think it's a door leak migrating to the back (and I did check for wetness from the front to back with no results).

It starts leaking right after the fill is complete and the wash cycle starts. I also did notice water running on the drain pump bracket at one time- which is higher than the drain hose, so I'm thinking it cannot be the drain hose (famous last words).

Wondering if it's worth a shot to try replacing the drain pump for about 60 bucks. I also wonder if that's something I can handle. I see some rubber sealant around where the unit connects to the tub- would I need to use some sealant other than any gasket that might come with the drain pump?

Also wondering if it's just time to cut bait with this and replace it. It's been a constant source of joy for me... (sarcasm alert!)

Thanks.

Bucky

Edited by buckyswider, 11 November 2012 - 04:57 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Time for a new dishwasher. These were pieces of junk even before they left the factories. Whirlpool was going to keep these Maytag design dishwashers in production, but they had too many issues with them. All the new Maytag dishwashers are really Whirlpools now. It is now safe to buy a Kitchen Aid, Maytag or Whirlpool dishwasher and those are the only brands I can recommend now.
Scott Wolf

#3 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Senpai! I was leaning Bosch, but I guess I'll re-think my stance now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics