Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

ASKO dryer wont shut off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mowgli

Mowgli

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

This is an ASKO dryer model 7005 type TD70A serial number 983620018107. It drys clothes on timer, but will not shut off on auto. From other posts I have been led to believe that there are no moisture sensors but that the auto timer advances because electricity is applied to the timer during cool down cycles. Therefore I opened the front and removed the duct allowing the dryer to vent into the room. At this point the duct is open just past the Hi and Lo thermostats. The thermostats each have 3 leads. With a meat thermometer and a voltmeter the following was obtained.
The heat cycles between about 140 and 165. All leads are at a steady 120 until 165 and then lead Lo 2 pulses greater than 120v often higher than 200 and heat cools down.
If I disconnect Hi leads 2 and 3 all Lo leads stay 120 but the temp never rises above 120 degrees altho it does heat.

So I think the supply A and B must be from different legs of the 240v plug and that somehow the high pulse must signal the timer. However, I don't understand why disconnecting Hi doesn't shut off the heat altogether. Do you think that I need to replace 1 or both of the thermostats ( at $85 each) or could the problem be with the timer itself?

Would really like a wiring diagram for the unit.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

I PMed you the parts manual with schematic diagram.

The problem is most likely not the timer since it advances in timed dry mode. Most likely, one of the thermostats is failing to switch after it heats up. One easy way to check them is to remove them and put them in an electric skillet to 150F and see if the contacts switch from 1-3 to 1-2. Whichever one doesn't switch is your bad actor.

Cycling Thermostat Low ==> http://www.repaircli.../8001444/762311

Cycling Thermostat High ==> http://www.repaircli.../8001543/762313

#3 Mowgli

Mowgli

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Put the thermostats in the electric skillet. Both behaved identically. 1 was connected to 3,2 not connected. At 145 the connection 1 to 3 was broken, but 2 was never connected. upped to 170 with the same result. It is possible that the temperature is not accurate in that it is difficult to get much contact with the shaft of the thermometer on the pan, but if anything they would under read. The pan was too hot to touch and the dryer didn't seem that hot.

Back in the dryer the heat happily cycles between 140 and 170 and the auto timer does not advance. Do you see any alternative to ordering both thermostats?

#4 scottmil

scottmil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anchor Steam

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

I have a similar problem with my Asko 7005 dryer.  Could you send me the parts manual, schematic, and service manual?  I will also test the thermostats.  Thanks.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

... parts manual, schematic, and service manual?

http://appliantology...service-manual/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Holy schmoly, 78 bucks for a snap disc? That's real hard to swallow.

First, do no harm.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

But, but... it's genuine Ass Co. quality, made in Sveden, by godless, drunken, incestuous Svedes!  pgceiono.gif

#8 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Boss, I gotta say that's the best way I've ever heard of testing a thermo disc.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

That's exactly why I shudder when I see somebody buy these "boutique" appliances that are so small .   The price of the appliances when you buy them, and the price of the replacement parts.

Holy schmoly, 78 bucks for a snap disc? That's real hard to swallow.

Scott Wolf

#10 scottmil

scottmil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have a similar problem with my Asko 7005 dryer.  Could you send me the parts manual, schematic, and service manual?  I will also test the thermostats.  Thanks.

I tested both the high and low thermostats, and they both seem to work.  The dryer still does not stop on auto dry, but the timer works on timed dry.  However, at the end of timed dry, I noted that the heat inside the dryer was not as warm as I expected.  Could the dryer heating element(s) be defective, not reaching a high enough temperature to activate either the high or low thermostat?

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

... Could the dryer heating element(s) be defective, not reaching a high enough temperature to activate either the high or low thermostat?

yes, that's a dual Heater, one section may be bad

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#12 scottmil

scottmil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

yes, that's a dual Heater, one section may be bad

After eliminating the hi and lo thermostats and timer as the culprits and thus suspecting the heater elements, I finally found the problem:  I tested the continuity of both elements in the heater with an ohmmeter, and neither was open circuited.  I then tried swapping the hi and lo heater elements on relay R2 and concluded that the hi heater contacts on R2 were not closing when the dryer was turned on.   Fortunately, there was a spare set on contacts on R2, so I moved the hi heater element wires to the R2 spare contacts, and now the hi heat comes and the dryer shuts off.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Nice shootin'!  This should be your dryer's heater relay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics