Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 417.48102701

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

This is my personal washer of all things. Found it shutting off and on. Figured out that the door was unlocking for no reason and the led's would go out at the exact same time. However, without me even touching it, it would lock itself back and start up where it left off. As I kept playing with it, I found that it didn't matter where in the cycle it was, at any time the door could unlock and the led's go out. It spins, drains, water valves are good, it works perfectly until the door unlocks. In fact it had just started the load it's on now and for some reason it's about finished. It has just about made it through the entire cycle, finally. It cut off a few times, locked itself back, and continued.

Control panel or door lock?

What's your best guess? The door is locking when it's supposed to, so the test is useless. However it's either unlocking itself or the control board is telling it to unlock. My guess is the door lock.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Loose electrical receptacle, or a timer that has been damaged by the tub going off balance.

OK just looked it up, has no timer, but a wire plug/connector could be loose/damaged as well
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Loose electrical receptacle, or a timer that has been damaged by the tub going off balance.

OK just looked it up, has no timer, but a wire plug/connector could be loose/damaged as well

I'm just gonna have to tear it down tomorrow. Thanks.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Don't need to tear anything to check electric outlet ...............
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Reminds me of the time I had a customer who was using a very light duty extension cord made only for lights for her washing machine and the cord almost caught on fire and the machine cut out a few times.
Scott Wolf

#6 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Don't need to tear anything to check electric outlet ...............

Oh, well that was ruled out by default. I've moved into a new home and personally replaced the outlet just a couple of weeks ago. And before any lights go off (no pun intended) I've been an electrician close to 20 years. :thumbsup:

I think you may be right about a loose connector though. If I find no loose connections, would you say it's more likely the lock or the board?

Thanks again for all of the insight.

#7 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Did this problem coincide with your move? Did it work OK before the move?
If all was OK before the move I would concentrate on loose connections on the lock and the control board caused by jarring from the move.

#8 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Did this problem coincide with your move? Did it work OK before the move?
If all was OK before the move I would concentrate on loose connections on the lock and the control board caused by jarring from the move.

Well it has worked fine for about 2 weeks after it was moved. I was really wondering if anyone thought it might be a position sensor. I did not install shipping bolts when it was moved.

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

No position sensor in there - since the control lights are shutting off, that would indicate the power supply wiring is at fault. Remove the top and run the machine - wiggle the wiring and connectors to see if you can narrow it down. Don't dismiss the receptacle, easy enough to wiggle the cord and see if it recreates the issue. Shipping bolts are used to keep the drum from moving around and causing such issues during handling - you are about to expend at least double the amount of time fixing the problem than you saved by not installing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics