Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Ice Maker Issues - Door Mounted Bin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrjtwright

mrjtwright

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Samual Adams

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Some genius removed the model number label from the fridge but it's a Whirlpool Conquest SBS with the ice bin on the door. I had to replace the emitters for the ice maker and it worked great for a couple of weeks. Then the customer called and said that there is excessive ice everywhere in the fridge like there was a major leak. They turned it off and when I got to view it the ice maker tray was empty. I turned it on and it went though it's cycle but did not fill with water. My hunch is, the inlet valve was leaking and the fill tube froze up (although I couldn't detect any ice in the vertical portion of the tube that is exposed). My attempt at testing the valve was to jumper the black wire to brown on the harness in the freezer with the ice maker removed. I was only receiving 55V at the valve. If I remember correctly, the coil had a low resistance (like 4 ohms). What resistance should it be? Should my jumper method supply 110V to the solenoid?

Thanks in advance

Edited by mrjtwright, 13 November 2012 - 10:14 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

4 ohms is too low, maybe a measurement error. 40 or 400 ohms, even 4K ohms on some valves, would be more like it.

The valve won't open with 55 vac. Do the cheater cord test. If the valve opens and squirts water up top, then the ice maker may be failing to cycle. Do the T-H jumper test.

Some videos for your instruction and edumucation:

Replacement ice maker part link ==> http://www.repaircli...ly/4317943/1857

Posted Image

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Some genius removed the model number label from the fridge

It was likely scrapped
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics