Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Leaking GE washer WPSR4130W0AA

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

This old washer is leaking water onto the floor. The inlet hoses and drain hose are not leaking. The valve is not leaking. It must be coming out of the tub somehow.

I've watched it run with the front cover off and the only place I see water is a little flying out of the top of the tub and a little running down the side of the tub. Can this leak come from the tub cover/balance ring area? Is there another common source of leaking with the tub. A tub crack maybe?

Also, the bucket seems to hang low when loaded. Do the srpings wear out, and would this cause leakage?

Thanks,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

You posted the part number for the water inlet valve as the model number in the topic title. Nolo contendre, compadre. Need that model number off the tag on the machine.

#3 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

WPSR4130W0AA

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Topic title edited.

Sounds like ye olde Spin during Agimutate problem. Do you see the inner basket spinning, albeit slowly and the gradually increasing speed, during the agitate cycle? This problem become especially apparent with wash filled to the highest water level and nice big head of detergent foam on top like customers love to see. That detergent foam and water starts riding up the sidewall and then down the spill tube. Busted brake assembly. Bring a shotgun and put that old dawg down.

#5 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

The spin stops rather abruptly at end of cycle.
And, we used little soap during the cycles I watched.
Can't afford to nuke this one yet.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

The spin stops rather abruptly at end of cycle.

That's not what I be sayin', budrow. Let's play it again, Sam...

Sounds like ye olde Spin during Agimutate problem. Do you see the inner basket spinning, albeit slowly and the gradually increasing speed, during the agitate cycle?

#7 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Jusdt checked. Inner basket (the one that clothes sit in) just rotates back and forth ~1" during agiitation.

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

http://www.repaircli...er=WPSR4130W0AA

Transmission-WH38X10002-00583757.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

http://www.repaircli...er=WPSR4130W0AA

Transmission-WH38X10002-00583757.jpg

Why this? For the leak? The clothes are being washed - they get gradually pulled down into the water from the agitation action. I'm confused.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Fill the washer until it starts to agitate, then shut it off and go away for a few hours - see if there is water on the floor when you return. If not - Tranny is in your future, but would be against the better judgement of many to repair it.

Siezed brake causes water to get thrown out as described earlier - most of us have seen this issue 100 times or more.

There's only 2 kinds of repairmen; those who have seen this issue, and those who have never serviced GE
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Fill the washer until it starts to agitate, then shut it off and go away for a few hours - see if there is water on the floor when you return. If not - Tranny is in your future, but would be against the better judgement of many to repair it.

I replaced the tranny about 4 years ago, although maybe it's leaking.

But, I've been looking for water under the tranny/mount and have found none. There has been water dripping down from the outer tub but not significant.

I've decided to install a drain pan to cover the odd times it leaks. Costs me about $40 total (although I'll have to drill through the tile I just put down).

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

It doesn't leak from the tranny, it throws water over the top of the tub.

P.S. - no need to quote previous post each time .....

#13 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

It doesn't leak from the tranny, it throws water over the top of the tub

Ok;

1) how do I diagnose this more accurately? The inner bucket does not spin (as mentioned above) during agitation - it seems to be just agitating.

2) Would a basket hanging too low (from weak springs) cause this ?

Edited by jkk, 13 November 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Fill the washer until it starts to agitate, then shut it off and go away for a few hours - see if there is water on the floor when you return. If not - Tranny is in your future,

P.S. - no need to quote previous post each time .....

And no, the tub always falls down with weight of the water

#15 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Have you checked for a broken tub dampening strap? You have to remove the top panel to get to them. Check them and then bypass the lid switch and run washer with the top panel off to try and see better if/where water is sloshing over the top.

Eric

#16 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Have you checked for a broken tub dampening strap?

Actually, the front right one is broken. I'll replace it.

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Dampening strap ==> http://www.repaircli...er=WPSR4130W0AA

Shock-Dampening-Device-WH1X2727-00554942

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics