Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermador Professional 48 Duel fuel range

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LarsFromMars

LarsFromMars

Unsui

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Just made 2nd trip Diagnosing and repairing Model PRDS486GDUS. It must have cost 7K to purchase less than 10 years ago. It's 48" Stainless with left and right ovens. Original problem was bake element not working. My problem was finding the schematics and owners manual. When I finally found the schematics, I found the problem within 5 minutes. Before that, I spent 3 hours getting familiar with it. So here are two questions I have:
1. What would cause the resettable high limit switch at the bottom of the 30" larger oven to trip? Customer swears they did not do self cleaning just prior to the failure. I'm thinking maybe they ran the unit with the door open to heat the very large kitchen on a cold Chicago morning, then went off to work and forgot....
2. Still have no owners manual so I'm not absolutely sure if it's fixed. When you turn on broil, a cooling fan turns on immediately, but when I turn on bake, it does not turn on immediately. There is a small thermo disk that turns the fan on upon heat rise above a certain temp. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it seems both broild and bake elements go on when only bake is selected. This is most puzzling.
It's been quite a challange and very good education. Education, of course, is what you get when you don't get what you really want....
So I've learned that the bake element is 240 volts and that the resettable thermofuse located under the oven will fool you into thinking it works if you do not shut off the power and isolate the unit by disconnecting one or both leads and testing with a continuity tester. I also learned that this particular reset button needs to be pushed rather hard in order to reset In fact, I had removed it and tested it and was about to buy a new one when I pushed it really hard as a last ditch effort....heard and felt the click and now it's back on. You cannot tell by looking at it if it needs resetting like most I'm familiar with....
I will gladly share my newfound Thermador info if anyone needs it as I now have the enite circuit practically memorized. Meanwhile, it's almost thanksgiving and I want to be sure this thing will perform when the time comes, so any helpful links would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics