GE Microwave was dead this a.m.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:47 PM
This morning, when I went to heat up my coffee, the thing was dead. Dead. No light upon opening the door, nothing on the display. Dead. Must be a tripped circuit breaker! Nope.
Maybe there is an internal automatically resetting circuit breaker! I unplugged the plug, waited for 5 minutes, and plugged it back in. Voila! Oh, wrong--no light, display, etc., still.
Maybe there is something wrong with the receptacle itself. So I got my handy little Babycakes Cake Pop Maker and plugged it into the receptacle. Yikes! This thing heats up really quick! So there is juice getting to the microwave.
I looked at the user manual, and there is not much to offer other than to unplug and replug the appliance, which I already did. Shoot--try it again. No joy.
Any suggestions? If we have to call for service, it may make more sense to buy a new one. Bummer.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:57 PM
Why did the fuse blow in the first place ?
GE has real problems with microwaves in general , keyboard , motherboard , magntron . all GE favorites
I myself would not have a GE over the range microwave in my house , i have see one self program 66 mins 66 seconds and turn on without a human touch , think about that the next time you leave the house
Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:50 PM
Thanks. I'll pass the information on to my son-in-law, the owner of the subject microwave. We're here doing duty as grandparental house/children watchers, and I'll just substitute some bourbon for the reheated coffee. I'm not about to try to remove the appliance from where it's mounted.
Our first microwave (around 1980) was a GE countertop, and it quit immediately following a thunderstorm, 3 months after purchase. Apparently the service people were inundated with calls, because the local GE repair shop (they had them then!) told me I would get it back quicker if I took it to them. While I waited, they replaced whatever blew. That microwave, after the single repair, lasted about 20 years. About 3 years ago, we updated our kitchen, and we got a GE range and over the range microwave. So far, no trouble. If it starts acting bewitched, I'll replace it with another brand. I've been impressed with LG. What's your opinion of them?
- kdog likes this
Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:11 PM
Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:36 PM
I will pass along to my son-in-law that he should give it a shot to replace the fuse. He doesn't have the incredible skill that you and I have in replacing the door microswitches, but the fuse, maybe.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:23 PM
so the short range hood is removed for the "upgrade" and a microwave installed , the clearance from the burners to the bottom of the micro is just to little
there is just to much heat and moisture that get up into the controls , add a little grease and you have a recipe for failure
please don't get me wrong , i used to love GE . my grandad opened a GE TV and Appliance showroom in 1956. I closed and sold it in 1980 to make way for a pizza hut
The GE appliances i (and you ) grew up with are no more , i look at this new stuff and can't believe my eyes
Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:11 PM
The exhaust fan, which vents to the outside, is 20 inches above the gas burners of the range. My interpretation of Cactus Bob's remarks is that the fan should always be running whenever the burners are lit.
And finally, if they do have to get another microwave, is there a brand/model which is more reliable in this location? There isn't sufficient room in the kitchen for a countertop microwave, and I can't imagine getting along without one.
Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:16 PM
Good luck if you buy an LG, which is a Korean based company which I really don't care for to begin with.
I personally refuse to buy an over the range microwave oven, I like my countertop microwave oven. Mine is a Whirlpool microwave which is already 6 years old and it has never seen a repair yet. When and if it bites the dust, I will replace it with another Whirlpool countertop microwave oven.
Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:08 AM
- Samurai Appliance Repair Man likes this
DIYers: Save time and money by learning the secrets of appliance repair... Click Here!
Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:45 PM
RoughShod--I'll pass the link along to my son-in-law. If he can manage the repair, I'm getting the idea that it would be better for him to keep the one he has.
Finally, since their countertop is so limited in space, at some point they will have to replace the over-the range-microwave with another like it. It's clearly prudent to get one that isn't too expensive. I've never been big on extended warranties, since they're overpriced.
Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:11 PM
Old thread, I know but for those of you who ended up here from Google there is another part in these GE range hood microwaves that can shut the works down. There is a thermal fuse up above the cavity that often fails.
Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:18 PM
By some chance was the last think cooked in it popcorn, or, something else that gets it really hot inside? If so, the thermostat oleteddy speaks of is a very real possibility.
Edited by tpoindexter, 13 September 2013 - 09:19 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users