Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Washing Machine won't turn on unless I unplug and replug in to 'reset'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tchristensen

tchristensen

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have a 2 year old LG washing machine, WM2801HRA. It is not starting up when pushing the power button (as if it has no power) but the interior light is illuminated. I can get it to work if I unplug the machine wait a few seconds and plug it back in. It will start as normal. However, after every load of laundry the washer will be 'dead' (as if no power) again. If I unplug the machine, it will start back up and I am able to do one load. Also, the interior light stays on and will not go off when the machine is 'dead'.

I have read a little online and some have suggested it is the circuit board or the noise filter. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

I buy all my appliance parts right here with a one-year return policy! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

<<<It is not starting up when pushing the power button (as if it has no power) but the interior light is illuminated.>>>

Are the CONTROL PANEL lights on as well?
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 tchristensen

tchristensen

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

No, only the interior illumination light is on. Nothing lights up or powers up when I push the power button. However, after I unplug and plug back in the control panel lights come back on and I can use the control panel to select my wash cycle.
Thanks for your help!

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Try the following---when the washer will not "wake-up"...

1) Press the START button at each corner (north/south/east/west). If the washer CONTROL PANEL "wakes-up" reliably at any position---check the START button. Does it look crooked/out-of-position compared to the POWER button?
If so---replace the CONTROL PANEL COVER.

2) If the START button looks normal---replace the DISPLAY BOARD Part number: EBR61020701

Part number: EBR61020701

3) Tap/bang on the washer at the top/left/rear corner (without damaging the sheetmetal or paint finish).
If the CONTROL PANEL "wakes-up"---replace the MAIN BOARD (sticking Power Relay) Part number: AP4999213

Part number: AP4999213

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#5 tchristensen

tchristensen

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Thanks! I have a load of laundry in now, I will try this tomorrow morning and report back.

#6 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

i find this problem is often times the main board, on both lg and kenmore/lg's

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 tchristensen

tchristensen

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Update: I always run the washer on the 'speed wash', because I don't like waiting over an hour for a load of laundry. Last night I tried the perm press and the washer did not 'shut down' after the cycle. Tonight when I got home, the washer was still working. We are getting ready to go on vacation and are doing quite a bit of laundry, all on normal and perm press and the washer seems to be working fine this evening. I will try running another 'speed wash' when I get back from vacation, to see what happens. So far it appears that the washer only 'shuts down' after 'speed washing'.

Thanks for all your help. When I get back next week, I will run a few trials with the washer and if it 'shuts down' again I will try the suggestions above and report back.

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

<<< I always run the washer on the 'speed wash', because I don't like waiting over an hour for a load of laundry.>>>

I've lost count---how many times that a customer has described that symptom to me.

If an LG washer takes "more an an hour of run time" during a NORMAL WASH cycle---this is usually caused by too much laundry detergent (or the incorrect type).

If more than the following amount of detergent is used...

******************************************************************************************************************

HE (regular strength) : (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X (double concentrated): (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (triple concentrated): (1) Teaspoon

********************************************************************************************************************

...during the RINSE portion of the cycle (about 36 minutes remaining)---the MAIN BOARD will detect the presence of suds.

At which point the COUNTDOWN DISPLAY CLOCK will ***stall*** at "36 minutes".

The MAIN BOARD then activates a hidden software program called:"SUDS KILL MODE".

Suds Kill is a software program that will attempt to reduce the amount of suds in the washer (usually cannot achieve success).

Whenever Suds Kill becomes "enabled"-----a 51 minute NORMAL cycle will end up taking about 120 minutes to complete the cycle.

<<<When I get back next week, I will run a few trials with the washer and if it 'shuts down' again I will try the suggestions above and report back.>>>

Sounds good :)
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

That video was INSANE, kdog! Watched it with my sons and we were cracking up. Good find!

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Heh Heh Heh ............... ;)

The squeak toy was made in Korea
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

That video was INSANE, kdog! Watched it with my sons and we were cracking up.

someone has too much time on their hands ...
I gotta watch that again... :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics