Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air SVE 47600B

No display Fan comes on at odd times

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Wife received a call from potential customer who bought a house with 'defective' Jenn-Air. Complaint is no electronic display. burners work, oven works but no controled temperature, Unit makes random noises (beeps) that are silenced by pressing cancel. Fan (downdraft?) comes on during non operation, ie. middle of night when ervery thing is off.

Never worked on a Jenn-Air, trying to come up to speed. Researched site with google search, found several posts with people having lots of problems. Would like to make call somewhat educated. Any & all help greatly appreciated. Thank you Patricio
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Start by checking for proper power - hots/neutral, ground etc

The downdraft has it's own relay board
http://www.repaircli...umber=SVE47600B

Relay-Board-12001694-00563354.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

New Download coming up here: http://appliantology...-maytag-models/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Easiest thing to do is to get a subscription to Whirlpool Techline. This is the kind of call where I would be dialing the techline as soon as I pulled the key out of the ignition.

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Don't they cost an arm & leg

Easiest thing to do is to get a subscription to Whirlpool Techline. This is the kind of call where I would be dialing the techline as soon as I pulled the key out of the ignition.

"sides With the help I receive from this site I can charge less to the customer & generate more jobs so as to gain more experiance & whirlpool can design more expensive junk to keep independents confused until they figguer it out & pass it on. all cyclic, keeps the us on our toes, yada yada. never did like easy like to own it. :sillytongue:
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Examined unit yesterday, everything seems to be working normal, except display panel. Put it into test mode, without digital read out not sure it is in test mode.

buttons all beep when pressed, bake unit comes on convection fan also. Downdraft fan comes on when activated. Not clear how to test the control boards, have to study the manual from KDog some more. recon I should change out display control. Open to Any other ideas.

Also they want to know if I can change out the griddle cartage for a burner cartage ( have 4 burners instead of 2). Any reason why I could not?

Edited by Patricio, 26 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

IgonFishn

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Cartridge........P/N JEA7000ADB......( black ) ................... Should fit the bill.........Retails for about 180 clams............... If you push the bake button and it beeps, ( But no display ) and the bake element is operating,.........the control took the command, just no display....................... Still a fan issue?????, random on????................I got customers that have no display/readout, Instead of replacing the control, they push bake w/beep....... set temp w/beeps.... push start w/beep and it operates.....They will repair when something else quits, that was over a year ago.....

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Cartridge assembly ==> http://www.repaircli...A7000ADB/883537

Posted Image

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

If everything is working OK but just no display on these units can usually be corrected by replacing the three larger capacitors that are in a group at one end of the display board.

I just did a dual fuel model with the same display and relay boards, (this is the first one I tried it on, I ordered extra capacitors for another that has the same problem that I need to contact the customer and go out and fix it).

You should need (2) - 470uF 35Volt 105Celsius & (1) - 68uF 35Volt 105Celsius Capacitors.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Control board with shipping close to $300. Flat book rate $500 (best I can tell from Blue Book). Warranty to customer 1 year. Capacitors under $50? Add $200. 30 day warranty. Ask customer which they would prefer.

Soldering new capacitors in no problem, little tedious. Where does one find these capacitors? I searched for a transformer for a Maytag to no avail. Had to purchase an expensive control board. Customer said to much cost. If I could of found the transformer could of maybe repaired on the cheap, kept washer for a few more years. Instead it found its way to appliance graveyard.

Give that choice option to customer. MEANWHILE back at the ranch. Point me to capacitor supply house

You should need (2) - 470uF 35Volt 105Celsius & (1) - 68uF 35Volt 105Celsius Capacitors.

Edited by Patricio, 27 November 2012 - 11:56 PM.

IgonFishn

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Two really good locations for electronic components:

DigiKey Corp. - Electronic Components Distributor
http://www.digikey.com/

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor
http://www.mouser.com/

I ordered enough to do three boards and with shipping the complete order was just a little under $8 using regular USPS shipping, you can pay more for UPS or FedEx delivery if you need them quicker.

Here's the DigiKey part#'s that I ordered:
P14435-ND CAP ALUM 68UF 35V 20% RADIAL = (In Stock .33 ea.)
493-1321-ND CAP ALUM 470UF 35V 20% RADIAL = (Backorder .59 ea.)

You should be able to put the basic specs for the backordered 470UF capacitors in the search and find a substitute that is in stock.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 28 November 2012 - 08:18 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Here's the problem with doing a board repair. Suppose you replace the capacitors and three months later, something else goes wrong with the board, a diode, a chip, something you can't even troubelshoot without the schematic, oscilloscope, signal generator, etc. how do you explain this to the customer?

"We'll, you see, ma'am, it was the capacitors but this time it's the something else on the board."

"But it's still on the board, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"So why isn't that covered by your warranty?"

"Because it's a different problem than last time."

"But it's still the board so I don't understand. Do you warranty your work or don't you?"

And so it goes.

Personally, I don't screw around with replacing components on a board. Repairing visibly burned solder joints that I can show the customer-- absolutely, precisely because the problem is visible and and they can see what I would be repairing. I can warranty that specific repair with no ambiguity.

Some servicers won't even do a board repair-- it's replace or nothing and they make a good case for doing it this way.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

And then there's this scenario: suppose you go to the time and trouble to replace the capacitors only to find out they weren't the problem after all? Are the calls really that slow that you don't have other calls you could have done during what turned out to be wasted time? Wouldn't you want to know for sure that the capacitors are bad before you off and replace them, the same as you would when replacing any part in an appliance?

#14 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Good to hear your input Samurai. That ws my point, Put the scenario to customer, Push for the board replacement, but present the option. Go with the cheap, get it on the cheap...no warrantee. Patricio
IgonFishn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: No display, Fan comes on at odd times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics