Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSH25JFRF WW water dispenser frozen again, heater kit already installed

water dispenser heater frozen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrew

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Grand Master, I checked readings:  approx. 30 ma @ 13.7 VDC   :pinch:

What do you make of these readings?

DA, thanks for the input.  However, our GE has a digital temp setting, 1-9.  We inherited the fridge with the house we bought 6 years ago, I set the thermo on 5 for the fridge and 2 for the freezer, and they have never been changed in all that time.  I considered colder incoming water this time of year, but had no problem last winter - I think it's pretty much narrowed down to something wrong with the heater element.... (I hope)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,730 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Okay...but I meant digital temp setting as in setting temp for 0 degrees or 38 degrees etc as oppose to a number setting. Why is the freezer set at 2 as opposed to the recommended setting? There are several  reasons I ask what appears to be a simple question. Remember, most fridges of this model do not require a dispenser heater. Maybe the heater is bad but maybe another problem is causing the need for a heater in the first place (other than bad design).  For instance, is the freezer temp set at 2 because it has been too cold? Which leads to another question....what's the freezer temp?   Anyhow for proper diagnosis of fridge problems it is best that a fridge be set at recommended settings. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 December 2012 - 07:00 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#23 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

What do you make of these readings?

that would equal about 450 OHMs

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#24 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Bad heater?

Okay...but I meant digital temp setting as in setting temp for 0 degrees or 38 degrees etc as oppose to a number setting. Why is the freezer set at 2 as opposed to the recommended setting? There are several reasons I ask what appears to be a simple question. Remember, most fridges of this model do not require a dispenser heater. Maybe the heater is bad but maybe another problem is causing the need for a heater in the first place (other than bad design). For instance, is the freezer temp set at 2 because it has been too cold? Which leads to another question....what's the freezer temp? Anyhow for proper diagnosis of fridge problems it is best that a fridge be set at recommended settings.

DA, I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you said "dials"; here's a pic of the temperature controls (my mistake, I transposed the settings for fridge and freezer):

temp_control.jpg

Here's what the manual says about the temperature controls:

(At the top is a graphic of the temp controls with both set to "5")

Below that (bold is as printed):

"Several adjustments may be required. Adjust the controls one increment at a time, and allow 12 hours after each adjustment for the refrigerator to reach the temperature you set.

Setting either or both controls to 0 stops cooling in both the freezer and refrigerator compartments, but does not shut off electrical power to the refrigerator.

Control settings will vary based on personal preferences, usage, and operating conditions and may require more than one adjustment."

The current air temp inside the freezer is -2°F; the fridge is 38°F - keeps my beer at the perfect temperature. :pint1:

I just happened to set the freezer to the middle setting (5) and the fridge a bit lower (2) as my starting point, but found those settings are just right.  As I said before, those settings have never been changed; the water dispenser worked for 4 years without a problem, then, after installing the heater, 2 years without a problem.

Edited by sbdivemaster, 15 December 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#25 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Bad heater?.

450 OHMs would be a bad connection if you said the Heater reads 108 OHMs

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#26 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Current draw is too low == high resistance connection in the heater assembly somewhere.  Replace the heater again and be done with it.  

#27 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Arigato, Fermented Grand Master.

Well, The Wife was getting grumpy with the control board and cradle assembly laying around on the counter with refrigerator guts and wires hanging out; I reconnected the heater, and put it all back together.  Maybe the dispenser will be working in the morning...?  Anyway, I had reached the conclusion the heater is bad (I could be wrong, it's been known to happen :blinky: ).

I was just thinking: What happened to the OP'r?  Wonder if they went ahead and replaced the heater...?  Did that resolve the problem?

I will report back after new heater arrives and is installed.

#28 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

What happened to the OP'r?  

You hijacked his topic!    :sillytongue:

#29 sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

DOH! :whistling:

I hope he was able to share in the wisdom imparted by the Grand Masters and bring his troublesome dispenser back to its natural state allowing the purified water to again flow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics