Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Help with my Soda Machine Fridgeration

tonybeth103

Hello all!! New to forum and hope someone can help me out.

I purchased an old soda machine. Was told it needed a new power start relay. Unfortunatly he had the old relay in the box not connected. and all compressor/ condessor wires/ thermal switch wires were disconnected.

Need to know if you can point me in the right direction on wiring it this thing?

What I have

COMPRESSOR has 2 black wires

AE530-AR-718-J7

AEA3425YXA

POWERSTART has 4 wires (2 reds and 2 blacks) (not sure if this is the right relay or not.

URSC10

FAN TO RADIATOR?(I think it is a condessor) has 2 black wire s

5KSP51AL327H

O yeah I have a

power cord

white, green and black wire.

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

nevarez.tony@gmail.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybeth103

• kdog

• Cactus Bob

• DanInKansas

post-78454-0-02826400-1353637457_thumb.jpost-78454-0-76018900-1353637464_thumb.jpost-78454-0-17641700-1353637471_thumb.jpost-78454-0-69305000-1353637478_thumb.j

OK I hope this works Trying to upload photos I made of the parts.

SODA MACHINE MODEL: VFA56-B

COMPRESSOR has 2 black wires

AE530-AR-718-J7

AEA3425YXA

POWERSTART has 4 wires (2 reds and 2 blacks) (not sure if this is the right relay or not.

URSC10

FAN TO RADIATOR?(I think it is a condessor) has 2 black wire s

5KSP51AL327H

HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND THANKS AGAIN

OK - Black wire from powercord to one side of thermostat, other wire from thermostat gangs up with one of the red relay wires and one of the fan wires. The remaining red from relay gangs with the remaining fan wire and white wire of powercord. Now you gotta wire the other 3 wires from relay to the proper pins on the compressor.

Some insight on testing the compressor here: http://appliantology.org/topic/26075-kenmore-10673182302-10673192302/

I think you have more of a problem than just what you see , i do not want to be a wet blanket here but i have to let you know what i see and why

I think you may have a bad compressor

this compressor is a replacement for the original one and it's not old at all

this replacement compressor comes with a "potential" relay and a overload , this relay and overload are real "hardy" and last for years , so why are they missing ? there is a next to nothing chance they where bad

the start unit you have does not contain an overload or relay , you cannot use just what you have there , you will need a relay or PCT device and an overload to start that compressor safely

i suggest a 3-1 start unit that will work with a 1/4hp compressor and wire per instructions

but you still most likely will not start that compressor

Edited by Cactus Bob

OK - Black wire from powercord to one side of thermostat, other wire from thermostat gangs up with one of the red relay wires and one of the fan wires. The remaining red from relay gangs with the remaining fan wire and white wire of powercord. Now you gotta wire the other 3 wires from relay to the proper pins on the compressor.

Some insight on testing the compressor here: http://appliantology...02-10673192302/

Thanks for the info. Should I try to wire it with this Powerstart or get a 3-1 like Cactus suggested? If so how do I know what 3-1 to get.

do not use anything you have there

get a 3-1 starter and wire according to instructions that come with it

3-1 will have 5 wires , 3 of them just plug right on to the 3 pins in your compressor with the pre installed connectors

the 2 bare black wires are just power , connect them to the power cord along with the condenser fan motor leads

it's just that easy

when your shopping for one you want one that will work with the horse power(HP) of the compressor you have, in your case you have a 1/3HP compressor , there is a 3-1 that works with 1/4 -1/3HP compressors , that's the one you should buy

Edited by Cactus Bob

I could be mistaken, but in the second pic you posted, lower left corner looks like a 3-in-1 starter you are holding, anyway you can take a zoomed in shot of that componenet (you are calling it "powerstart") - try to include the writing on the sticker so we can see what you're dealing with there. Best bet is to verify compressor windings measure within spec first and are not grounded - otherwise, it's all for not anyway.

KDOG: a powerstart is a start cap and a solid state device to act as a start relay. It is used as an add on unit only , the two red wires go to the existing run cap , the black wires splice into the comp start and run wires

the powerstart is used on window ac units to give a hard starting compressor a boost , sometimes used where line voltage is low to get the compressor going

I guess it might be used on other compressors too , but i have never seen one on anything except window ac units

Edited by Cactus Bob

Ahhh - I suspect you are right when you observe that someone was trying to shock this compressor started; probably explains why it was unloaded - wouldn't mind having one myself to go stick out front of walmart, collect and shop all in one trip ..............

Kdog & Cactus Bob,

Thanks for the info. I am going to get the 3-1 then come back.. may take a couple days but I will return.

Thanks

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

do not use anything you have there

get a 3-1 starter and wire according to instructions that come with it

3-1 will have 5 wires , 3 of them just plug right on to the 3 pins in your compressor with the pre installed connectors

the 2 bare black wires are just power , connect them to the power cord along with the condenser fan motor leads

it's just that easy

when your shopping for one you want one that will work with the horse power(HP) of the compressor you have, in your case you have a 1/3HP compressor , there is a 3-1 that works with 1/4 -1/3HP compressors , that's the one you should buy

Hello Again, 

Well my 3-1 start came today.. So this is my question from your instructions. 

____

With the blacks from the 3-1 that are not pre-pinned.

I connected one black from the 3-1 to one black from the fan on the condenser and one black one the compressor. Then 

I connected other black from the 3-1 to other black from the fan on the condenser and the other black on the compressor.

I have a cord coming from the (looks like thermostat) has a white and black and ground. 

NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THOSE?  :whistling:

Thanks again for all your help.. ALL OF YOU!!  :thumbsup:

Tony

OK - Black wire from powercord to one side of thermostat, other wire from thermostat gangs up with one of the black,unpinned relay wires and one of the fan wires. The remaining black,unpinned from relay gangs with the remaining fan wire and white wire of powercord. Now you gotta wire the other 3 wires from relay to the proper pins on the compressor.

Did the compressor pins measure within spec ??

Compressor seemed to ohm out good. I think (if I was doing it right) my ohms from common to start then common to run added up to what I had from start to run.  wiring rest up now wish me luck.   :tinkerbell:

Ok seems I have everything wired right. The fans kicked on as I was about to pat my self on the back garage GFI popped.  :yucky:

Check connections and popped again.. now I am dead in the water.. Any suggestions?

at no time should a simple refrigeration system like you have ever trip a GFI, that said you should not plug a regular fridge into one because of false tripping due to defrost water and steam

did you ohm out the compressor ?

you should have no connection from any of the 3 pins to the case of the compressor

on any ohm scale

this still does not tell the whole story , but it's a start

the next test would be with a meg-ohm meter , this tool i doubt you have but you might know who you can borrow one from

Edited by Cactus Bob

No connection from the pins to the case. I may be able to borrow mega ohm meter from someone at work today.  

• Team Samurai

Using GFCI's with refrigerated appliances is a Bozo No-No-- all the manufacturers say that right in the Use and Care Guide:

You don't have to pay big bucks for a megger and they are a very handy instrument to have in your arsenal.  Here's the megger I use ==> http://amzn.to/R8LDGd

And here's an example of how to use it: 

Ok.  Well I hooked it up to a regular wall outlet and both fans kicked right on! :rocker:

Now I have to figure out if it is getting cold ie and to charge it with freon. 

my father inlaw has the line for charging but I think I need to know what type of freon to put in. 

Any suggestions? 

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!! 

Trying to find what else I can fix so I can keep posting. 

Tony  :thanks:

I think i misunderstood you post from the start

i thought your problem was just the wiring , but it looks like it's much more than that

you have fans running , but you say nothing about the compressor running , nor do you know if the compressor is even pumping

selecting a conversion freon to convert from the r12 the system came with to a replacement is a job for refrigeration repair person , who work with the replacement and knows the pitfalls and problems that will come when using the replacement

charging a system is not a simple thing . it's not a job that can be reduced to a few words on a blog site

here are just a few things that need to be done

1: the filter dryer must be changed if the system it empty

2: the system is pressureized to test pressure with nitrogen

3: system is leak tested

4: a vacuum is pulled to 30 microns

5: a freon is chosen

6: system is charged part way and pumping action and freon flow is watched to be sure flow pressures are in line with the amount of freon added

7: system is topped off , frost pattern is checked and ampture draw on compressor is checked

this is a job for your local refrigeration contractor , or a really good appliance repairman ( not all of them will do this work )

the pitfalls and problems with this type of repair are more than you can count , don't go it alone , hire someone .