Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

DD603 -- Correcting drain hose problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

General complaint of "dishes aren't really clean". In diagnostics, it's giving me a U1, so I am replacing the inlet valve. Except for a weak flow in the fill valve all other components tested okay during the hardware output tests.

However, I believe the drain hose is rigged wrong here. The drain hoses for the drawers are pointing straight up at an air gap. I was taught by the factory rep that FP drain hoses needed to glide down to their drain point and that the y-connector has to be straight up and down in the 12 and 6 o'clock position.

Based on the amount of gunk in the sump of the bottom washer, I am thinking I need to reinstall the drain lines based on the FP training. What I'd like to do if possible is just order new hoses and then clamp them onto the existing hoses so I don't have to uninstall the unit.

However, looking at the parts drawings I can get to on Sears, I'm not sure that's possible. If so, I don't have part #s.

Any input or help here?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

See page 17 here

There is a list of parts toward the end

This may also be of some help: http://appliantology...r-parts-manual/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

So I was right and wrong. When going to the disposal or other pipe without an airbreak, the drain hose must be a gentle slope and vertical. However, an approved kit with an airbreak is not a problem.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I always found that if the hoses themselves were not secured to the wall etc, they can move and cause the outlet of the rubber Y connector to kink
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

the y doesnt need to be vertical

it does need to face downwards

drain hose part numbers are

it doesnt matter which one you buy as its only the end that is different which you are going to cut off anyway

they are about 3 metres long so you would likely need to buy only 1 and cut it up

drain hose joiner

this is a joiner to join drain hose to extend and comes with 2 butterfly wire clips
this is 1 joiner and 2 clips so order 2 for a double drawer

i put a little silicone on the hoses when fitting the joiner to ensure they never leak

this will allow you to extend the hoses , the hoses should go up to bench height and then down to the drain point

your U1 fault is most likely the reason because of poor drainage

i have also experienced issues on occasion where the one way rubber flapper valve in the drain hose at the base of the drawer
expands with age and does no always allow water to come out , it is noticeably larger than the new one

hope this helps

#6 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm a former F&P warranty tech and have dealt with this more times than I can count. "Not cleaning well" and a bad drain install sometimes go together but sometimes not.

You know for sure that you have a bad install if you drain the upper unit and the water ends up in the lower unit. If the customer only uses the upper then hold your breath and open the lower unit. If it's full of nasty water then Bozo-the-Clown did the install. More on that in a sec...

There is another reason for "not cleaning well". F&P dish drawers have an owners manual that states very clearly that the owner needs to do a water hardness test (kit available at Home Depot) and then set up the options according to the results. This includes the rinse aid setting and (optional) salt style water softening system. The unit comes from the factory set at a default that sometimes works well with a customer's water hardness, sometimes is horrid and most of the time is so-so. Units that have been set up correctly after a water hardness test almost alway kick some serious rear end in the performance department.

Now, on to my own emotionally traumatizing drain experiences... also known as the Lowe's install contractors from hell.

When I was an F&P warranty tech about 7-8 years ago there were almost no other drawer style dishwashers out there.  Even today, installers often don't know what they're looking at when they grab that Y drain coupling, don't bother to (gasp) actually read the directions and just jam it on any way that they can.

What makes me want to chase them with a chain saw is when they cut the couping because the end is too large to attach to the disposal the way that THEY want to do it. The coupling is stepped, wide at the end and narrower deeper in. Installers often think that they're supposed to cut the large part off and then shove the narrower part onto the disposal inlet. They're not.

Worse, Joe Bob installer often cuts it and then doesn't bother with a high loop. Presto... now your lower unit is full of rancid water even though Mrs. Jones has never used it.

Both issues can lead to poor performance. The solution is install and set up the unit correctly, according to the installation instructions. This means actually following the instructions for the drain coupling, double hose hanger and instructions for the water hardness test.

Edited by ScottsApplianceRepar, 13 March 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics