Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid Dishwasher Fire Hazard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

My Kitchenaid dishwasher model # KUDP01FLSS6 recently stopped working. Prior to this when the dishwasher was in the drying cycle I detected a burning smell. In the past a burning smell was the result of a plastic measureing spoon or tupperware lid falling down and touching the heating element causing it to melt. This time I didn't see any plastic on the heating element.

When the dishwasher stopped working I took apart the door to access the electronics module. I discovered that there was a hole burned thru the circuit board where the tan wire (Line) connection P8 occurs. I thought that the heater element assembly was drawing too much current, however the heating element measured within spec (13.7 ohms) and I tested the thermostat which opened when heated up and closed when cooled down.

Since the tan wire comes from the door switch and there was no sign of the switch taking in too much current, I suspected that the spade connector to P8 was bad causing arching that resulted in a hole in the circuit board.

After replacing the circuit board and splicing in a new spade connector for the P8 connection, my dishwasher is back in business.

Are there any notices/recalls for my Kitchenaid dishwasher?

Attached File  img0027ho.jpg   181.19KB   13 downloads
Attached File  img0028tbo.jpg   119.46KB   16 downloads
Attached File  img0029glj.jpg   96.34KB   13 downloads

Edited by Southern, 21 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Been there done that

most of the time , i just replace the connector and build up the solder on the pin connector to the board .

But DANG , you done burned a hole right through the board , you win !
Also , no, sorry i do not know of any recalls on this dishwasher that address this issue .
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

This is one of those hidden control units. My guess is that water got into the control panel and shorted out the electronic control. They had issues with that. I'm guessing somebody bypassed the thermal cutout in the electronic control or this wouldn't have happened.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 21 November 2012 - 11:52 PM.

Scott Wolf

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I'm guessing somebody bypassed the thermal cutout in the electronic control or this wouldn't have happened.

Nope, the $200 board is designed to blow in time to save the $20 thermal fuse. As Cactus Bob said, seen it before...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

The thermo fuse was not tampered with and is located upstream of the door switch which did not show signs of heat. It doesn't appear to be caused by overcurrent since the Line trace did not lift nor were the relays damaged.

My guess is that the P8 connection became loose and started arching causing it to "weld" a hole in the circuit board, it even started to melt the plastic case behind it. The male spade connector coming out of the circuit board looks to be of adaquate quality, however if I was Kitchenaid I would look at the supplier of the female spade connector. The thickness of the metal and plating doesn't appear to be suitable for the application compared to the connector I used for the replacement.

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

That unit has that big wrap around blanket (sound insul) that extends around under the machine - have seen many of these burn up the wiring etc, probably due to all the heat the blanket directs into the door/console area.
Mfr won't call it a fire hazard unless it actually starts a few fires
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics