Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Refrigerator GD5RHAXNB00

Service manual Tech sheet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Service manual & tech sheet for this non functioning unit.
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Wiring Sheet - 2255774.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Thanks RegUS_PatOff. Looked at refer today. Unit is working normally, icemaker loaded with booKoos of ice. Frdige temps normal. Have probably a drain problem, freezer floor frozen with ice puddle, water sometimes leaks out of door. Easy fix.

Main complaint Problem is no digital displays at User interface cold control board. Can not read diagnostic display. What do you suggest, Main control replacement or user interface board? Better yet, How would one diagnose/test these boards?
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Make sure the 2-pin and the 9- pin molex connectors on the user display board are tightly inserted. Make sure the pins are not pushing backwards out of the connections as they are being connected. Make sure that the door switch wires are connected to the door switch itself tight . Use your multimeter meter to check this. Make sure you are getting full 120 vac to the door switch from the blk/red wire to the bare ground of the upper door hinge green wire.(under the hinge cap). Make sure that the control board connections themselves are tight.

If all that checks out, then replace the user interface board:

http://www.repaircli...ber=GD5RHAXNB00

Posted Image

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Update:  Connectors all tight,  Receptical voltage122v, Voltage @ refer door switch to chassis ground 120v.   No voltage to refer light,  Voltage (and continuity) across door switch.  Compressor cycles.  No light display @ user control panel.  Evaporator & condensor fans work.  frezzer makes ice, optical emitters working, ice dispensor & water working.  Defrost system working, bottom of freezer full of freezing water.  Evaporator drain frozen, cleaned & defrosted using steam gun thanks to Samurai.

Replaced user control panal with new one.  Display lights come on for maybe 30 seconds, then go out.  No refer  light comes on at user control panel.  Compressor comes on.  Turn fridgerator control off, compressor resets, turn control back on,  display lights cycle back on, then blank again.  tried over & over same thing.   What gives?    Do I need to replace the main contol board?  

Put old user interface panel back in refer,  no display lights on whatsoever.  Compressor runs, fans work, freezer freezing, drain draining, frezzer lights working refer light not.    Clueless.   Patricio.

IgonFishn

#6 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I know you said you checked it but

sounds like a bad door light switch or a problem with the wiring to that switch

if the refer door switch does not work the display will go blank after a few seconds

add to that , did you say the refer side inside light was out ?

add

the drain was frozen ?

you may have a drain heater on that one !

look on your wiring sheet , anything common with the light , a drain heater , powers , commons ?

None of this may apply , just the direction i would go if it was my nightmare .

PS: just looking at your wiring sheet

i see no drain heater

i would quickly check the threads of the fridge light bulb socket with an ohm meter to the "N" side of the power plug

the center pole on the bulb socket to the switch (ohm out)

ohm out the other 2 wires that go to the motherboard from the door switch (i know this is a pain in the butt , but you need to be sure )

if it's all good , 0 ohms the only thing left is the motherboard

sorry , i feel your pain

Edited by Cactus Bob, 29 December 2012 - 01:28 AM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I know you said you checked it but

sounds like a bad door light switch or a problem with the wiring to that switch

if the refer door switch does not work the display will go blank after a few seconds

add to that , did you say the refer side inside light was out ?

add

the drain was frozen ?

you may have a drain heater on that one !

look on your wiring sheet , anything common with the light , a drain heater , powers , commons ?

None of this may apply , just the direction i would go if it was my nightmare .

PS: just looking at your wiring sheet

i see no drain heater

i would quickly check the threads of the fridge light bulb socket with an ohm meter to the "N" side of the power plug

the center pole on the bulb socket to the switch (ohm out)

ohm out the other 2 wires that go to the motherboard from the door switch (i know this is a pain in the butt , but you need to be sure )

if it's all good , 0 ohms the only thing left is the motherboard

sorry , i feel your pain

OK making my list:

1st: Continuity check on light bulb socket

2nd: Continuity on switch to main control board

Found dead mice under refer so there is probably chewed wires.  Note: customer says refer was in barn & they had mice problems, unit is in garage presently.

How would you check continuty fromdoor switch inside fridge to contol panel on bottom backside, make longer leads?

Also customer says that control board was making clicking noises when display went out.  Has been out for a long time.  Not making noise now.

More questions later it is late & I have to be up in 5 hours (4am)

IgonFishn

#8 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

to check the two wires that go from the door switch to the motherboard

first , remove the two wires from the motherboard , short them together with a jumper

check for 0 ohms at the wire side of the door switch connections

"Bop......i could of had a V 8 "

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,075 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I am having the same problem on a similar model....when ff light bulb is screwed in, no user interface lights. When unscrew bulb interface lights up but I think it stays on regardless of door switch.  Door switch is fine ...

It would have been nice if a certain nameless person would have updated his findings and results. lol 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Sorry Durham. Did not get a chance to follow up with this unit.  Customer is a alcoholic, I repaired his harmony washer & Jennair refrigerator to completion.  When I asked for payment for those two He balked on paying in a drunken rage ( I did collect).   I declined to go back to the garage refrigerator.   My guess is that it is still cooling without a user interface and a evaporator drain that is draining.

Please do follow up on your findings maybe in a new topic.   Patricio

IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics