Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire range FES355DSB ate a Thanksgiving board

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

To the Dojo,

I roll into a customer's home to swap a Frigidaire clock to get an oven going for turkey. I installed the clock one wire at a time, remounted the clock to the cabinet, and turned the oven breaker back on. Color me surprised when, instead of Thanksgiving turkey, I got Fourth fireworks. I quickly turned off the breaker (no trip as with a direct short), and reinstalled the old, no-bake clock. I'm wanting the opinion of the Dojo: lemon clock or my screw-up?

Thanks in advance,
Tyrus

Attached Files

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

need to do a visual on the Bake and Broil Elements.
Sometimes they are broken and "barely" touching the chassis,
and could cause the Controller to burn-up.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

When doing a 'no bake' situation, First thing I check for is the terminals of the bake element....That means, most of the time, pulling the unit from the wall and getting some eyes on said terminals.........More than once, I have just removed the element and found a fried terminal...That means a new terminal AND a new element ................When it is pulled from the wall you can do your hot checks of the output on the relays.......Last call Wednesday ( 11/21 ) was a 'no bake' call.............Frigidaire of course, The customer called Tuesday and said the element had failed, the office staff took the call and an element was ordered and taken..........Got there and no visual damage to the element, pulled the range and what do I spy????? A fried terminal............ I told the customer he is lucky I brought an element ( normally I do not order elements with out checking range first, ( I got a wall full of elements)................I pointed out how close the damaged wire was to the range chassis for a direct short, taking the O.C.U. with it.................. Did you visually check the element terminals and the wires????.....You could have possibly swapped the bake relays, new board to the old board... ( most common failure)....

Edited by certified tech group 51, 23 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Often caused by over zealous pre holiday cleaning when they lift and bend the element to clean under it, the terminal wedges itself into a part of the chassis and awaits the arrival of the unsuspecting operator who is about to experience a protein spill.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

No fried terminals or grounded elements, no burnt wires or cabinet. Sounds like it is going to be "one of those."

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
701 Baldwin Falls Road
706-778-3411

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Check any wire looms that run next to fan shaft (if equipped)

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Where were the fireworks?  And does everything else work with the no bake timer/installed? Specifically, does the broil work? If not, does this oven have broil assist for preheating in bake mode?

I just looked at your pictures.  Ok. more brain storming....Did the original board have the same damage? If not, possibly wires crossed on board. Are boards identical? Maybe a hint can be obtained by looking at that really toasted resistor and determining what is its function.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 30 November 2012 - 12:19 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,965 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

No fried terminals or grounded elements, no burnt wires or cabinet. Sounds like it is going to be "one of those."

So....what happened? we are waiting

tapping_foot.gif

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

So....what happened? we are waiting

tapping_foot.gif

Inquiring minds want to know!  th_raredpqq.jpg

#10 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Sorry for the delay; in the Motherland (England).

No fireworks anywhere but at the fried resistor. I don't think BROIL worked on the old clock; I never tested surface element functioning without the clock. The surface units functioned fine with the old clock, though.

The original clock didn't show any damage, and the new clock layout was very different from the old. I swapped one wire at a time, i.e. P7 to P7.

The toasted resistor connected the two line wires. One line wire ohmed with 30ish ohms to ground. I pulled the top, and moved the main wire bundle until there was no continuity. I thoroughly taped the portions of the bundle I thought were making contact with the cabinet. I don't understand what was happening with the ohms I was picking up, but, after the taping up, a new clock got burnt up. The customer went shopping.

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
701 Baldwin Falls Road
706-778-3411

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics