Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RedToryTy

Frigidaire range FES355DSB ate a Thanksgiving board

10 posts in this topic

To the Dojo,

I roll into a customer's home to swap a Frigidaire clock to get an oven going for turkey. I installed the clock one wire at a time, remounted the clock to the cabinet, and turned the oven breaker back on. Color me surprised when, instead of Thanksgiving turkey, I got Fourth fireworks. I quickly turned off the breaker (no trip as with a direct short), and reinstalled the old, no-bake clock. I'm wanting the opinion of the Dojo: lemon clock or my screw-up?

Thanks in advance,

Tyrus

post-54516-0-12492600-1353676647_thumb.j

post-54516-0-04463400-1353676666_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

need to do a visual on the Bake and Broil Elements.

Sometimes they are broken and "barely" touching the chassis,

and could cause the Controller to burn-up.

When doing a 'no bake' situation, First thing I check for is the terminals of the bake element....That means, most of the time, pulling the unit from the wall and getting some eyes on said terminals.........More than once, I have just removed the element and found a fried terminal...That means a new terminal AND a new element ................When it is pulled from the wall you can do your hot checks of the output on the relays.......Last call Wednesday ( 11/21 ) was a 'no bake' call.............Frigidaire of course, The customer called Tuesday and said the element had failed, the office staff took the call and an element was ordered and taken..........Got there and no visual damage to the element, pulled the range and what do I spy????? A fried terminal............ I told the customer he is lucky I brought an element ( normally I do not order elements with out checking range first, ( I got a wall full of elements)................I pointed out how close the damaged wire was to the range chassis for a direct short, taking the O.C.U. with it.................. Did you visually check the element terminals and the wires????.....You could have possibly swapped the bake relays, new board to the old board... ( most common failure)....

Edited by certified tech group 51

Often caused by over zealous pre holiday cleaning when they lift and bend the element to clean under it, the terminal wedges itself into a part of the chassis and awaits the arrival of the unsuspecting operator who is about to experience a protein spill.

No fried terminals or grounded elements, no burnt wires or cabinet. Sounds like it is going to be "one of those."

Check any wire looms that run next to fan shaft (if equipped)

Where were the fireworks?  And does everything else work with the no bake timer/installed? Specifically, does the broil work? If not, does this oven have broil assist for preheating in bake mode?

I just looked at your pictures.  Ok. more brain storming....Did the original board have the same damage? If not, possibly wires crossed on board. Are boards identical? Maybe a hint can be obtained by looking at that really toasted resistor and determining what is its function.

Edited by DurhamAppliance

No fried terminals or grounded elements, no burnt wires or cabinet. Sounds like it is going to be "one of those."

So....what happened? we are waiting

tapping_foot.gif

So....what happened? we are waiting

tapping_foot.gif

Inquiring minds want to know!  th_raredpqq.jpg

Sorry for the delay; in the Motherland (England).

No fireworks anywhere but at the fried resistor. I don't think BROIL worked on the old clock; I never tested surface element functioning without the clock. The surface units functioned fine with the old clock, though.

The original clock didn't show any damage, and the new clock layout was very different from the old. I swapped one wire at a time, i.e. P7 to P7.

The toasted resistor connected the two line wires. One line wire ohmed with 30ish ohms to ground. I pulled the top, and moved the main wire bundle until there was no continuity. I thoroughly taped the portions of the bundle I thought were making contact with the cabinet. I don't understand what was happening with the ohms I was picking up, but, after the taping up, a new clock got burnt up. The customer went shopping.