Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Model # WSXH208V1WW Serial # VV404653W

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Malbec

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

References: (1) the generic Electrolux service manual online. The topis of motor not running is on page 50. (2) Tech Sheet in the washer. - Pub. 31-15405. One difference is that the generic manual mentions a 10 and 6 pins on the speed control board, while the washer has a 9 and 4 pins, as pointed out in this troubleshooting: http://appliantology...r-wsxh208v1ww/. Based on the feedback for that posting I used the tech sheet for troubleshooting. And I'm assuming that the both pin plugs are reversed compared to the graphics in the sheet and the comment by Steve in the referenced post (as there is no connector for "pin 3 of the nine pin plug" if you read them from top down as suggested in the sheet).

Problem:
Initially the motor would agitate, but not spin. A local technician suggested I replaced the pump, which I did. Though after that the engine did not turn. The timer does move. The door locks and the water runs, when starting a cycle. The pump also pumps the water out.

Troubleshooting
In the tech sheet the 6 points is for troubleshooting, when the motor will not run. So that fits well.

Step 3 there is 120 volt between pins 2 and 4 in the 4 pin plug. "If the meter reads 120 VAC go to step 4."
Step 4. The voltage drop between pin 6 of the nine pin plug and pin 4 of the four pin plug is 120 VAC. "If the meter reads 120 VAC go to step 5."
Step 5. The reading between pin 3 of the nine pin plug and pin 4 of the four pin plug is 120 VAC.
Step 6. There is no resistance between pins 1 and 3 of the four pin plug. (The resistance bewtween pin 2 and 4 of the four pin plug is 17.4 ohms.)

Please advice on next steps and how to get the right troubleshooting advice for this specific washer.

Peter

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

... the washer has a 9 and 4 pins

that would be the "early" Frigidaire Gallery
http://appliantology...-control-tests/

GE FL Washer (early Frigidaire Gallery)
http://appliantology...allery-31-9005/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

If you have a new door lock give it a try, it's the most common part to fail.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Door latch ass'y ==> http://www.repaircli...1763202/1531974

Door-Lock-131763202-01235823.jpg

#5 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Reg, Nick and Samurai!

Reg: yes those are the right sheet and manual!

Looking at this posting again: http://appliantology...er-wsxh208v1ww/ - I tested the door as Reg suggested:
"Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:48 PM
Does the Door lock ?
Does the Door really lock ?
While it's in the Spin Cycle and the Door is locked,
un-plug the Washer from the Wall Outlet.
Can you then immediately open the Door ?" And the answer is: yes you can immediately open the door.

And you guys' responses all points to that the door lock (door latch) is the likely problem. Correct?

Was the reason that the motor (1) initially would agitate, but not spin and (2) later it stopped running all together; because the door lock was still initially somewhat working?

Edited by PeterNil, 24 November 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

... yes you can immediately open the door...all points to that the door lock (door latch) is the likely problem. Correct?
... Was the reason that the motor (1) initially would agitate, but not spin and

... later it stopped running all together; because the door lock was still initially somewhat working?

1) yes
2) yes
3) there now may be other problems

#7 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks so much Reg.

So you are recommending replacing the door lock?

Do you have suggestions for what/how to troubleshoot the other problems?

#8 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I went through the same troubleshooting steps as previously and now the voltages in step 3 to 5 are all 0 (measured them twice at different times). In step 6 the measure is 2.119 ohm. And previously the timer moved forward, it is not moving at all today. Makes me wonder, if I damaged something during the troubleshooting process?

So with the revised voltages I repeated the troubleshooting check list from “Tech Sheet” “(motor will not run)”
Step 3: “check the thermal cut out”. The resistance between 7 & 8 of the 10 pin plug for the motor connectors is 0 ohm. So that seems OK. See motor ohm measures below.
Step 4: “check timer contact 11 to 11A” – I do see 11A and 11B on the wiring diagram, which are the contacts nine plug pin 5 and 6 for the speed control board? Where are they on the washing machine?
Step 5: “check timer contact 24 to 24B” – I see 24 and 24 B on wiring diagram as a switch next to the pin 3 of the nine plug pin. Where are they on the washing machine?

Checking the motor resistances and the armature rotor winding has indefinite resistance, while the rest seems OK within the +-10%.

Stator winding full field. pin 3 & 4; recommended: 1.26 ohm; actual: 1.4 ohm; almost OK
Armature rotor winding: pin 5 & 6; recommended: <5 ohm; actual: indefinite; no connection!
Tachogenerator: pin 1 & 2; recommended: 135 ohm; actual: 137.1 ohm; OK
Thermal protector: pin 7 & 8, recommended: <1 ohm; actual: 0 ohm; OK

Edited by PeterNil, 25 November 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

1) ... Step 4: “check timer contact 11 to 11A” ... Where are they on the washing machine?
Step 5: “check timer contact 24 to 24B” ... Where are they on the washing machine?

2) ... Armature rotor winding: pin 5 & 6; recommended: <5 ohm; actual: indefinite; no connection!

1) on the Timer

2) doesn't look good

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Kinda funny that Electrolux used to be White Westinghouse before Frigidaire owned it and they made appliances for General Electric, one of their biggest competitors.
Scott Wolf

#11 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thank you very much Reg.

Timer connections: 24 B is OK. 24 is not connected on the drawing nor on the timer. 11A and 11B connections looks OK, i.e. the cords going out from the plug are connected. Is there more to troubleshoot to explain why the timer stopped moving forward?

Armature rotor winding (pin 5 & 6) no connection! Any recommendation for a solution for this one?

In "addition" to the timer, motor and door lock replacement what else do you recommend? Apart from going shopping for a new washer :( .

Edited by PeterNil, 25 November 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

... 24 is not connected on the drawing nor on the timer.
... troubleshoot to explain why the timer stopped moving forward?
... Armature rotor winding (pin 5 & 6) no connection! Any recommendation for a solution for this one?

1) drawing shows a Brown Wire on Timer 24 connected to the Motor Controller C1.3
2) Timer Pull-Switch, Door Lock Switch, Timer 5 to 5A
3) that would indicate a bad Motor

#13 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Reg!!!

1) Timer connection 24: you are right and it’s there. Sorry.

2) (a) Timer pull switch: you mean the mechanical part at the front? That seems fine.
(b Door lock switch, and based on your suggested check in the previous post (quoted here) that seems to be a problem.

3) I could not understand why the motor would fail as well. So I took it out and checked the connections. The good news is that the armature rotor winding (pin 5 & 6) now have a resistance of 2.4 ohms. YES!

So I'm back to just the door lock? Any other leads?
Would you suggest I try to return the drain pump that I thought was the reason for the failure?:

Edited by PeterNil, 26 November 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#14 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I removed the lock and am planning to try with a new one. And keeping the old drain pump in.

However one obstacle: on this model the bellows at the door comes off at the back not at the front (as shown on the video from repairclinic). Is there a video or drawings online to explain how to put it back together?

#15 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

It comes off both the front and back, on these older models the front lip was glued to the door opening, need to carefully cut it away - you cannot just swap out a new door switch on these, there is a harness and counterweight included in the kit - original door locks were solenoid operated, kit updates it to a wax motor latch.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#16 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks RoughShod.

Lock: They changed the design of the original lock. Now it seems like the harness and kit is not available from the repairclinic: http://www.repaircli...31888900/820920 or my local appliance parts store. I searched on Google, EBay and Amazon - no luck yet. Planning to go ask a local outlet store. Any leads?

Bellows: I took it off at the back - how do I get it back on? Are there videos or drawings online?

Edited by PeterNil, 27 November 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

the GE version :woot:
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=832696

Lid-Switch-Assembly-WH49X10023--01220978

#18 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

http://fixitnow.com/...epair-tub-boot/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#19 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Thanks RoughShed and Reg!

Door lock: I found a used one at an appliance outlet. Now, reassembling the wires. I can figure out 4 of the wires. Does it matter which of the two wires (blue/white &amp; white) that goes to the two connections of the solenoid? I did not see any specific diagram in the manual and in the text just says to put it back the same way. I tried to see, if it works (water was not turned on, as the boot is not in yet) and it opens right after I turn the washer off. Is that just because the water is not turned on?

Bellows/seal. yes the front is glued. I'll use Samuari's guidance on how to get it back. I do not have the spacers that come with the bootkit. Hmm. Maybe two people can get it in together.

Thanks to everyone for their patient feedback.

Edited by PeterNil, 27 November 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#20 PeterNil

PeterNil

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

The washer just washed a "Knits & Delicates" with agitation and spinning. Thanks to you all for the help!!!!

Samurai's guidance and the service manual for the newer model were helpful for the "last mile", re-installing the boot/bellow; like understanding how it went on at the back side and using spacers to get the spring in place.

Edited by PeterNil, 29 November 2012 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics