Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
PeterNil

GE Model # WSXH208V1WW Serial # VV404653W

47 posts in this topic

Motor Resistance check - power off, machine unplugged, tan/black - tan/white approx 0.37ohms (tapped field) ;  orange/black - tan/white approx 1.26 ohms (full, or long field).

Voltage input to speed control - all harnesses plugged into board, set up meter to blue/white and white terminals and have meter so it can be read with you away from machine ("monitored") - plug in and turn on and observe (no hands near moving parts or motor casing).

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thanks RoughShod!

The motor resistances are OK. Based on the original and second posting yesterday.

On the speed control board the voltage between C2.2 and C2.4 are 117 VAC, and the spec calls for 120 VAC (measured on the incoming wires). This is different than measured in the first posting, when it was 0 VAC... So this does lead to Step 4 on the Tech Sheet motor does not run.

Step 4. "Remove the nine pin plug to the speed control unit. Measure the voltage drop between pin 6 of the nine pin plug and pin 4 of the four pin plug" (my comment: so both the nine and four plugs are removed). "If the meter reads 0". Which it does (measured on the incoming wires). "Check timer contact 11 to 11 A." I have not check these timer contacts now but did during the first troublshooting 2-3 weeks ago. "If the meter reads 120VACgo to step 5."

Yes, the used door lock is exactly as the original and it worked for 2-3 weeks.

And, I tested the door lock as Reg suggested here: http://appliantology...er-wsxh208v1ww/ -
"Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:48 PM
Does the Door lock ?
Does the Door really lock ?
While it's in the Spin Cycle and the Door is locked,
un-plug the Washer from the Wall Outlet.
Can you then immediately open the Door ?
" And the answer is: NO, you cannot immediately open the door. So that makes me guess that the door lock is OK.

Edited by PeterNil

If it were the door switch, you would not get the power at the speedboard - If you are seeing 117 vac there (120v within 10%) and you are certain the motor and it's connecting wires measure ok, then it would seem you have a failed speedboard.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-speed/WH12X10060/771429?modelNumber=WSXH208V1WW

Control-speed-WH12X10060-00853091.jpg

Or a cheaper alternative without the Platinum Plated GE brand packaging:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Control-Board/131789600/823078

Motor-Control-Board-131789600-00966430.j

Thanks RoughShod!!!

This is strange. On the speed control board the voltage between C2.2 and C2.4 is 0 VAC. This is the third measurement and the volts has been 0, 117 and now 0 VAC. The washer was connected and turned on to the regular washing program. Any obvious explanation?

After checking the voltage, I checked the motor brushes and one is 15-17 mm, while the other is down to 3-5 mm, and looks like it certainly needs to be replaced! I figured out how to take the brush out of the plastic housing (marked with an R). The motor is by FHP Motors and the part number is 131 276 200 Rev F, which corresponds to the link you provided about exhanging the brushes.

Edited by PeterNil

There are a few points in the cycle that power is just taken away from the speedboard near the end of the first wash tumbling, then for 100 seconds or so each time it fills until the waterlevel switch closes.

Back to that switch as a possible suspect

Thanks for the explanation about the variations in the voltage.

Switch: do you mean the brush? Even when the resistances measures for the motor are OK? And of course the worn brush should be exchanged.

Do you believe that worn the brush could be primary reason the motor stopped working?

Edited by PeterNil

No, the doorswitch - if you are losing voltage to the board other than the few increments that it is supposed to disappear, there could be an issue with the switch.

OK. So the used door lock that was put in 3 weeks ago may be faulty now.

Edited by PeterNil

If you can measure voltage across switch while it's (not) running - black to black red should remain steady 0 VAC.   I have been known to unscrew the latch and slide the wires out through the boot and plug lock onto the latch with door open - connect another small hose to waterlevel switch and blow full of air, then pinch hose with vicegrip so air stays in hose; now unit will run as if full of water with door open and switch terminals exopsed.

Also make sure one of the tabs isn't broken off the door hook

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Catch/WH10X10002/278057?modelNumber=WSXH208V1WW

Door-Catch-WH10X10002-01285351.jpg

So I wanted to check out the door switch as you suggested. Put the motor back in placed and pulled the timer out at spin and the motor started! Then I ran a normal wash and it went OK, including fast spinning.

Looks like an intermittent error. Is that possible related to the three diffferent measures of voltage over C2,2 and C2.4 on the plug for the control board? Still pointing to the door switch?

Edited by PeterNil

Yes, possible if the power is being lost to speed control - more likely is the motor brushes, when they are worn the motor may or may not start depending where they are contacting armature.

See this thread as CTG appears to have one of those motors he would like to sell - being X-mas and all, he might even give you a deal.

Thanks so much RoughShod!

This is great to know about CTH for right now I just need one brush. But I have an extra new pump that CTG may be interested in. Again, thanks for helping me though this.

PS. One other question. What's the best way to get service manuals here (1) how do you search for them and (2) I posted a request for one and got no reply for some days now.

... I posted a request for one and got no reply for some days now.

this GE Microwave thread ?

http://appliantology.org/topic/40308-ge-profile-performance-microwave-oven-model-jeb10955b-request/

1) JEB10955B

check that model number again ...

maybe

JEB1095BBxx

2) GE info is sometimes nearly impossible to get ..

Thanks RegUS_PatOff!

My fault. Sorry: JEB1095SB.... I did use glasses reading it.... I can't change the title of that request, should I just repost?

Edited by PeterNil

title changed ...

Back again. The door lock stopped working. It does not latch.

(1) Are there a couple of troubleshooting steps to go through? Or

(2) Is the best attempt just to try another used door lock?

Thanks!!

... Is the best attempt just to try another used door lock?

How's the Door Latch ?

(if you have the newer style Door Lock Assembly)

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1191142

Door-Strike-134456600-01027454.jpg

replacement for newer style Door Lock Assembly

(if newer style kit has already been installed)

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1531974

Door-or-Lid-Latch-Assembly-131763202-015

Thanks RegUS.

I have the door lock that is not available as a part anymore. The latch mechanism seems fine (is there a way to post a photo here?)

It'll take me about 90 minutes and probably $25 to get a used latch from the same store that sold me the one, when the original broke.

I meant the whole door lock, not just the latch. (Is it not possible to edit postings?)

,,, (is there a way to post a photo here?)

... It'll take me about 90 minutes and probably $25 to get a used latch from the same store that sold me the one,

1) not for unpaid grasshoppers

2) I don't know what to tell you

Thanks Reg_US.

1. OK

2. I went to the Appliance Outlet and they did not have a used door lock. The latch that is attached to the door is fine.

So back to square one.

I put it back together and the lock works (i.e. lock the dorr), when I start the washer. It's going through a wash right now.