Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RB2055SL Defrosting/Cooling Issues

Samsung defrost control board

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 christies57

christies57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ricard's Red

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Last fall, our Samsung RB2055SL Refrigerator compartment lost it's cooling ability. After reading some posts, I removed the rear wall to see that the evaporator coil was frozen up. I manually defrosted it with a hair dryer and put it back together. A month or so later, same thing. I had a tech come over and he told me it was probably the defrost heater for the coil. Since it looked like a major job to replace, I made an appointment with him 3 weeks later. The day he was supposed to arrive, I took the rear wall off again (at his request for access) and to my surprise, the coil was ice free. He arrived and told me that the defrost heater must be working and that the problem was either the Main Control Board or the Defrost Sensor. I ordered both units. I replaced the sensor first. The coil froze up again within a month. I replaced the board. The fridge and freezer compartments started to warm after 10 hours. I installed the old board again and everything was good for another month, then the refridgerator compartment coil froze up again.

Anyway, I have tried 3 different boards and everytime, the whole fridge stops cooling, not only the upper compartment, but the freezer compartment also. (separate coils). The boards all work for a few hours, both compartments come to temp, then the compressor does not run anymore and both compartments start to warm up. I unplug the fridge, plug it back in and then it will run again, (CPU reset I am assuming) come up to temp then the compressor will not run again.

This is becomming very frustrating. Not only that, but the display will show that all is well temperature wise in both compartments when I know that the freezer compartment is thawing and the fridge compartment is warming and I know that the compressor has not been running, I re and re the AC plug CPU resets and the temp display will show the true warm temperature in both compartments. The compressor will run, both compartments will cool, then the compressor again stops and everything starts to warm up again.

Everytime I have put the old board back in and the fridge goes back to normal temperature and is fine until the evaporator coil in the refridgerator compartment freezes up again.

Why does my original board work (abeit the refridgerator coil freezes up in a month) and all of the new boards I have tried fail after 10 hours or so?
This is a canadian fridge, the temp display in in Celcius. The boards that I have replaced it with are from the US and are in Farenheit, but I adjust the temp accordingly. 36 degrees for the Fridge, 0 for the Freezer. The US board is a DA41-00128D. I am at my wits end with this thing.....any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Kevin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

check the self-diagnostics starting on PDF page 23
http://appliantology...2055sl-sam0055/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Your problem can be created with the following scenario.....Your original board is having problems reading temp sensors and since the board is bad it will not enter defrost mode despite a properly functioning defrost sensor. There maybe, however , one sensor (probably not defrost) that is causing havoc with your other boards and not causing the same reaction in the damaged original board since it has already "lost its mind." There is some reporting that a damaged sensor can temporarily and even permanently damage a board's ability to comunicate properly with sensors on other channels. I'm still researching that theory. Anyhow, if all else fails, replace all sensors. Btw condenser fan running and are you certain there are no differences between the U. S. boards and your original. If not sure, contact Samsung.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 christies57

christies57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Thank you for your reply, yes the fan is running. I did contact Samsung, but they told me that they do not offer any support and offered to set up an appointment with a tech.....They would not even confirm if I could use a US board.

I will do the sensor replacement as you suggest. I will let you know what transpires...thanks again!

Kevin

#5 christies57

christies57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Just wanted to update..

I replaced all the sensors and the fridge has been running fine for the past 8 months...even though I had replaced the sensors before on an individual basis, once I ordered new ones and replaced them all, I have had no further issues!!

Thanks so much.

Kevin

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,877 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Good job, thanks for the update!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics