Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kickin' my Maytag Neptune Washer to the curb - quiet replacement?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 panamared

panamared

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I am readyy to kick my Maytag Neptune Front Loading Washer to the curb. Anyone have a suggestion for a quiet front loader as a replacement? Need a quiet machine since my laundry room is adjancent to my den. The Maytag sounds like a Boeing 747 winding up when it goes into the full speed extract cycle. I have done a self repair on the main control board on the washer in the past. A couple of days ago the neptune started making an unusaul noise going imto the spin cycle and now does not extract water. I do not want to waste any more time or money on it.

Any advice on what brands or models I should consisder or avoid would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

My advice is to buy a top load washer that still has an agitator. A Whirlpool or Maytag is my recommendation.

ALSO, depending on the model number of your Maytag Neptune front load washer, you could have got your washer replaced under a class action lawsuit settlement if you had taken time to send in your warranty registration card that had came with your washer when you bought it, so PLEASE make sure you take time to register your new washer by sending in the card or by registering online.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 25 November 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 MENINBLK

MENINBLK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I had a Maytag Neptune washer and I never was notified of any lawsuit.
My washer AND dryer were both registered with Maytag.
Where can I read about this class action lawsuit ???
Thanks,

Pete...

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Model number of the washer please?
Scott Wolf

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

A few years ago I wouldn't have said this but, I've been recommending LG appliances lately for 2 reasons:

1. LG seems to be listening to the complaints and making improvements that results in a more durable, dependable product.

2. In 2012 Whirlpool jacked up their parts prices so high it makes it a tough sell to the customer.

#6 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

top load lg or samsung

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Whatever, just give all the business to China, Japan, Korea or Mexico. Have fun on the unemployment line. :banghead:
Scott Wolf

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

A few years ago I wouldn't have said this but, I've been recommending LG appliances lately for 2 reasons:

1. LG seems to be listening to the complaints and making improvements that results in a more durable, dependable product.

2. In 2012 Whirlpool jacked up their parts prices so high it makes it a tough sell to the customer.

Let China, Japan, Korea and Mexico own the USA. Hell with all the manufacturing jobs in the USA, who cares if 300 people just got laid off at GE Appliance Park, the 3 Whirlpool plants in Ohio and the Speed Queen plant in Ripon Wisconsin.
Scott Wolf

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

So...Scott-----*Panamared* as a consumer that wants to spend ***HIS/HER*** hard-earned money should have considered/asked the following as well???...

I am readyy to kick my Maytag Neptune Front Loading Washer to the curb. Anyone have a suggestion for a quiet front loader as a replacement----and the washer must not cause people to be in an unemployment line---nor cause the USA to be "owned" by the Chinese/Koreans/Japanese/Italian/Germans/Russians/French and so on---nor should the choice of new washer cause 300 people to get laid off at GE Appliance Park or any of Whirlpool or Alliance Speed Queen's plants---nor cause Global Warming---nor harm Polar Bears---nor contribute to overflowing landfills---nor cause harm (directly or indirectly)to any UNION members---nor sound like a 747...
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

OK John63, you win, from now on, I will only post my recommendations and NOT post what to avoid, go right on recommending your foreign stuff. You win President Obama.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 26 November 2012 - 12:52 AM.

Scott Wolf

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

<<<OK John63, you win, from now on, I will only post my recommendations and NOT post what to avoid, go right on recommending your foreign stuff. You win President Obama.>>>

************************************************************************************

You'd make a *great* politician,Scott...

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:30 PM
I'm done with this thread. Again, you've both missed my point.

I'll stop my bashing, I will just post my customers quotes from now on.

I had a job interview with LG last year. One of the questions I asked in the interview is when they plan to start distributing their parts to the local parts houses.

He replied "Why would we do that?"

Have you ever worked on an LG dishwasher? I had to replace a complete wiring harness, a door liner, pump and motor assembly AND a control board on an LG dishwasher.

LG sent the parts to the customer for free and LG paid us a mere $125 to do the repair. This job is at least a $300 repair. Tell me how you like working on one of these after you've worked on one.

End of discussion. Period.

Edited by john63, 26 November 2012 - 01:11 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Whatever, at least the Whirlpool and Maytag dryer drums don't start coming apart at the seams like the LG and Samsung's do when they are only a couple of years old.

Most of my customers say they will never buy another LG or Samsung appliance ever again after the experiences they have had with them.

I'm one of the few technicians in my service area that will even work on LG and Samsungs, besides Sears and LG Factory Service.
Scott Wolf

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Well Scottthewolf, if you are done with politics, I won't say that Romney is a jackass who sends jobs overseas not Obama lol.

Anyway, I am having a similar problem with a maytag neptune MODEL NUMBER MLE2000AYN. A google on it found no recall. Should it be replaced or repaired? The SEARS guy was out and he said at least 5-600 bucks was his estimate without being able to get to the machine (long story, a rental house I'm taking care of and I have to dismantle the front wall/door because the jackass who built it put the unit in and then built the front wall/door), and in his opinion it's not worth fixing.

What say ye?

I wonder why the OP never gave up a model number?

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

If you are gonna replace the rear tub bearing it could be costly - the stack unit can be separated (dryer comes off washer) to be moved.

http://www.repaircli...0181639/1388899

Rear-Drum-Support-W10181639-01067546.jpg

http://www.repaircli...2004465/1119942

Outer-Tub-22004465-01217903.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#15 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks Kdog. I just checked the manual stash and found the maytag-neptune-stacked-laundry-service manual. Is that a generic one that is applicable to the unit I have? (Should I start a new topic lol). The home owners are in Singapore so contact with them, even via email is slow as Singapore is 13 hours ahead of us here in the US. Since it's a rental house they want it fixed or replaced as cheaply as possible. Since I am learning to do this, I don't mind doing the work for free as opposed to hiring the Sears guys, (I charge them a management fee and look on fixing the washer myself as "practice") but if parts are going to be even close to the price of a new set then it seems stupid to try to fix it.

EDIT: LOL I just saw your message and the PDF. Thanks. Should I start a new topic though?

Edited by DeathStalker, 06 December 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Should I start a new topic though?

Yes, please.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics