Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
bresnan01

Need HELP with Viking Freezer..

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! This fourm is awesome from what I have seen so far. Now for my problem...We have a Viking Built-in bottom mount Freezer. MODEL # DFBB363L, SERIAL # 062104H0000000916. When we remodeled our kitchen, I had always wanted a Viking 6 burner, fridge and dishwasher. I think I kind of regret it now!! Had lots of issues with the stove which for now are ok. (sorry I ramble sometimes :turned: ) The problem we are having with the freezer is that it starts to make a "pond" of ice that grows out of the vents in the bottom of the freezer which after a little buildup makes the drawer hard to open and close! I had previously searched the web for anything on this, and saw many suggestions. One which I did that seemed to work was take the panel off, defrost the ice around the coils and drain, and wrap a few turns of copper wire onto the bottom loop of the coils. Now, if that is real gypsy - PLEASE TELL ME, and feel free to kick me.. LOL. I am at my wits end over this. I have had the Viking "Preferred" service here twice before for the stove, and the second time told the tech to get out! He attempted to take the burner caps off the stove with a pipe wrench after asking me to borrow mine! He said he did NOT have the spanner wrench that was made for it!! UGH!!!!! HELP....

THANKS EVERYONE!!

-Bill

(newbie)

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... starts to make a "pond" of ice that grows out of the vents in the bottom of the freezer

... wrap a few turns of copper wire onto the bottom loop of the coils.

yes, could be that the Freezer Drain Tube is frozen OR clogged with a pea or other small article.

This may be your service manual

http://appliantology.org/files/file/247-viking-refrigeration-service-manual/

So did you actually wrap the wire around the coil or the calrod heater?

Should have been the heater...not sure if you still have this issue or are checking to see what we thought of your "rig".

(That is the tech approved method of dealing with this, btw)

Thanks guys!

The drain is clear each time I defrost it - nothing in it but ICE. Yes, I did wrap the wire around the heater - it helps for a little bit, then same thing keeps happening, just longer intervals. Ugh!!