Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Purchase Advice

new washing machine purchase

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roomservicetaco

roomservicetaco

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

I've always gotten great info and advice from these forums - think I've used them for almost every appliance and a/c in my house. It's about time to replace the washing machine and wanted to see if anyone has general guidance or advice from the perspective of a technician about brands/types. You techs get to know the machines from a very in depth perspective about operation and durability that almost no one else, save factory engineers, get to.

For background, I currently have a GE machine that's about 10-15 years old. I've replaced the part with the clutch that drives the basket back and forth. It generated a leak around the basket and now does not spin any more. I think the water dripped down and shot the motor because it is not turning (as opposed to the motor turning but the clutch not turning. I could start taking it apart but seems possible that the water did more damage than is worth fixing. [correct me if i'm wrong]

Home Depot seems to have good deals now w/ free shipping, etc. I'm looking at machines around $300-$600 on sale (list for ~$500-$750) from GE, Maytag, LG. There are only 3 in our family, so relatively light use (though we do clean sheets and blankets), so looking at 3.5-3.7 cu ft size. Top loading is preferable but not required.

I've seen various threads on this and the old repairclinic board with comments about different mfg's, but those might be out dated. Some questions:

-any pros/cons to the manufacturers (or models) from the perspective of durability, ease of repair, and parts availability/price?
-same question about the newer "high efficiency" models versus "traditional" ones - what does HE buy us?
-metal basket versus plastic?

I know it's hard to compare in generalities - I could pull some model numbers if that's easier - and I know this forum is generally about repairing not buying, but just wanted to see if there were some things I should steer away from or towards.

Many thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

http://appliantology...used-appliance/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 roomservicetaco

roomservicetaco

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks - did not know that existed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics