Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
frunch

Whirlpool WTW4850XQ0 lid latch mechanism broken

7 posts in this topic

I recently ran into one of these oddball Whirlpool washing machines where the customer forced the lid open when it was locked via the lid switch/lock assembly. Now the lid will not lock, and the machine will not run a cycle, which I'm assuming is due to the broken lid switch/lock assembly. Unfortunately, this is the first of these models I've run into and I cannot figure out how to take the outer case off in order to replace the lid switch/lock assembly. Anyone have any info or a tech manual or any advice to offer? Again, the model is WTW4850XQ0.

Thanks!

Trevor

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

look at the rear of the unit................there are two hinges with screws in them ..........remove the top screw on each hinge..... remove the screw from the cover harness, you will need to remove that to replace the lid switch wire harness..............pull the top forwards, about a 1/4 of an inch..........lift top...............You will also have access to the tech sheet on the front left.............Read it, you may need to run the calibration/set-up (?) test...

I did try removing the hinges, I guess I should have left the lower screws in. Either way, I did get the top to move forward, but no matter what I tried I could not get it to release from some little metal sort of hook-shaped things on the right and left sides at the top of the case. Is there anything else to it that I may have missed? I will certainly try your suggestions, thanks for your response!

You have to pull the top cover forward 1/2", then lift 1/4", and then push back 1/4" while still lifting. The lid latch has a built-in section that breaks away when the lid is forced open. It cannot be repaired. Even though the latch solenoid still gets a latching pulse from the main control unit, the latch contacts will never close.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Lock/W10404050/1938607?modelNumber=WTW4850XQ0

Door-Lock-W10404050-01295378.jpg

Eric

Ahh, thank you Eric! I will get back over there today or tomorrow and report back with my findings. Thank you both for your help!

Well, Eric's advice was spot on! Remove the top screw on each hinge in the rear of the console, pull the top of the case forward, lift up, push back while lifting. It was a little stubborn, and getting it reassembled was a little tricky, but after installing the new lid latch/sensor, the washer is now working properly! A word of advice: make sure to install the correct Bezel. 2 were included with the new latch, and installing the wrong one prevents the lid from closing. Anyway, thank you all for your help!

Trevor