Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WTW4850XQ0 lid latch mechanism broken

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I recently ran into one of these oddball Whirlpool washing machines where the customer forced the lid open when it was locked via the lid switch/lock assembly. Now the lid will not lock, and the machine will not run a cycle, which I'm assuming is due to the broken lid switch/lock assembly. Unfortunately, this is the first of these models I've run into and I cannot figure out how to take the outer case off in order to replace the lid switch/lock assembly. Anyone have any info or a tech manual or any advice to offer? Again, the model is WTW4850XQ0.

Thanks!
Trevor

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

look at the rear of the unit................there are two hinges with screws in them ..........remove the top screw on each hinge..... remove the screw from the cover harness, you will need to remove that to replace the lid switch wire harness..............pull the top forwards, about a 1/4 of an inch..........lift top...............You will also have access to the tech sheet on the front left.............Read it, you may need to run the calibration/set-up (?) test...

#3 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I did try removing the hinges, I guess I should have left the lower screws in. Either way, I did get the top to move forward, but no matter what I tried I could not get it to release from some little metal sort of hook-shaped things on the right and left sides at the top of the case. Is there anything else to it that I may have missed? I will certainly try your suggestions, thanks for your response!

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

You have to pull the top cover forward 1/2", then lift 1/4", and then push back 1/4" while still lifting. The lid latch has a built-in section that breaks away when the lid is forced open. It cannot be repaired. Even though the latch solenoid still gets a latching pulse from the main control unit, the latch contacts will never close.

http://www.repaircli...mber=WTW4850XQ0

Door-Lock-W10404050-01295378.jpg

Eric

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

http://www.repaircli...mber=WTW4850XQ0

Door-Lock-W10404050-01295378.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Ahh, thank you Eric! I will get back over there today or tomorrow and report back with my findings. Thank you both for your help!

#7 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Well, Eric's advice was spot on! Remove the top screw on each hinge in the rear of the console, pull the top of the case forward, lift up, push back while lifting. It was a little stubborn, and getting it reassembled was a little tricky, but after installing the new lid latch/sensor, the washer is now working properly! A word of advice: make sure to install the correct Bezel. 2 were included with the new latch, and installing the wrong one prevents the lid from closing. Anyway, thank you all for your help!

Trevor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics