Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool fridge model#ed5vhgxmq11

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

This fridge has the electronic defrost control in it.  It has two plugs on the defrost board.  One is the regular style defrost plug and the other is I assume the terminator signal so the board knows when to do a defrost cycle.  Question is can I just use the one plug and put a standard timer in this?  Does it have to be wired cumulative run?  I know they made this style of side by side for a long time and they used to have the old style timers in them.

Edited by AppGuy, 28 November 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

you could install a mechanical Defrost Timer,

BUT, the Cold Control is now wired between Orange and Red (Compressor/Fans) < that's a problem

The Red wire going (only) to the Thermostat would need to be connected to Black (Line)

fridgedefrost.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

I changed my refrig from a ADC to a mechanical defrost t-stat by just removing the red#3 wire from the standard defrost timer plug side and removed the white#6 wire and put it into were you removed red#3.

I put the red wire that was removed from #3 back into the molex at position #6 so that it can't contact/short on anything.

You will also need to drill a hole in the console where the defrost timer knob is if you want to be able to manually put it into defrost.

This will make it a continuous run defrost timer.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

ok so two different methods here....  which one is the better? does it make a difference?  Grand master your saying just cut the red wire at the thermostat and tie it to the black (line) and seal off the end that runs to the evap overload etc?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

... and tie it to the black (line)

if there is a Black wire ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics