Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
AppGuy

whirlpool fridge model#ed5vhgxmq11

5 posts in this topic

This fridge has the electronic defrost control in it.  It has two plugs on the defrost board.  One is the regular style defrost plug and the other is I assume the terminator signal so the board knows when to do a defrost cycle.  Question is can I just use the one plug and put a standard timer in this?  Does it have to be wired cumulative run?  I know they made this style of side by side for a long time and they used to have the old style timers in them.

Edited by AppGuy

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

you could install a mechanical Defrost Timer,

BUT, the Cold Control is now wired between Orange and Red (Compressor/Fans) < that's a problem

The Red wire going (only) to the Thermostat would need to be connected to Black (Line)

fridgedefrost.jpg

I changed my refrig from a ADC to a mechanical defrost t-stat by just removing the red#3 wire from the standard defrost timer plug side and removed the white#6 wire and put it into were you removed red#3.

I put the red wire that was removed from #3 back into the molex at position #6 so that it can't contact/short on anything.

You will also need to drill a hole in the console where the defrost timer knob is if you want to be able to manually put it into defrost.

This will make it a continuous run defrost timer.

ok so two different methods here....  which one is the better? does it make a difference?  Grand master your saying just cut the red wire at the thermostat and tie it to the black (line) and seal off the end that runs to the evap overload etc?

... and tie it to the black (line)

if there is a Black wire ...