Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG front loader washer...weepy door gasket

LG washer door leak

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

This is a #WM2101HW unit, leaks from the bottom of the door and down the front outside of the machine. The drain-back hose at the bottom of the door gasket was plugged with gookus and was holding water in the gasket. I removed the outer band clamp and pulled back the gasket to remove and clean the short hose that connects to the tub. Reassembled and it's still leaking. Gasket looks good(no tears, discoloration or distortions), but water is visibly leaking past the seal as it runs down the inside of the door lens. The thing drains properly and does not appear to be overfilling...the leak is splash water running down the inside of the door. It does this even with just a short rinse/spin cycle with no clothing.

What do you think? Do we just need a new door gasket, or is there perhaps an adjustment to the door that might be the cause?

SD

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

<<<leaks from the bottom of the door and down the front outside of the machine>>>

Remove the Door Gasket Clamp.

Peel back the Door Gasket at/next to the Door Lock Assy.

Remove the stainless steel screws---from the.Door Lock Assy and press/push the Door Lock Assy out.

Re-install both stainless steel screws (but do not re-attach the Lock)

Add one flat washer (preferably stainless steel) to each screw.

Take the Door Lock Assy and bring it up to the 2 screws----re-install.

The flat washers will cause/make the Door Lock Assy to move inward towards the tub---and when the Locking Cam pulls the door to it's *locked* position---provides a tighter seal.

Greater than 90% of the time---this resolves the leak. If not---a new DOOR GASKET will be needed.

This type of leak---usually occurs on older LG washers that do NOT have the True Balance Feature---and is on a *wood* floor (shakes during spin cycle).

Clean the door at the 6 o'clock position---remove debris (hair/lint) that can accumulate at the bottom of the glass "bubble".

<<<The drain-back hose at the bottom of the door gasket was plugged with gookus and was holding water in the gasket.>>>

A soda straw can be inserted in the drain hole of the Door Gasket---blow the tube clear.

I use a very small/portable CO2 gun (used for clearing defrost drains).

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

The cleaning of the hair build-up at the 6 o'clock position on the door glass and gasket is very important.

In the last couple months I've had two front loaders with this exact problem and it was just a case of a small bit of hair on the glass that makes a wick to let water dribble out during the complete cycle, (one was a Frigidaire and the other was a Whirlpool Duet).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thank you, John and Willie. The unit is fairly new and sits on a tile-over-concrete floor. I was careful to clean the door lens and the small crevice between the lens and the door liner at the 6 o'clock position. The leak is visible through the lens at this spot, passing between the 1/2" lip of the door gasket and the lens. I'll try your suggestions before throwing a new gasket on it.

SD

#5 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Late follow up...

A tighter door closing didn't solve the leakage, checked by pressing inward on the door during cycle. Replacement of the door gasket took care of it. I like the mini blowgun approach for clearing the drainback tube. This one was plugged with paper bits. 

Happy New Year!

Door gasket part link ==> http://www.repaircli...Number=WM2101HW

Door-Boot-Seal-4986ER0004F-00682670.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 01 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.
Added part link for door gasket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics