Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sears 110.28892790 Washer Not Spinning - Jackhammer Sound

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

The washer fills fine, agitator agitates, drain pump removes H20, and the at the time it is supposed to start the spin it doesn't and makes a sound like a jackhammer.  Sounds like a relay trying to repeatedly engage or something like that.  Outcome is soggy wet clothes, unhappy wife, and life is near ruin.  Any ideas out there as to what to check or what part to buy?

Brent

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

http://www.repaircli...er=110.28892790

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

I suspect either a gearcase issue or the spin tube brake cam driver. You need to take the cabinet off, bypass the lid switch and observe the clutch hub during spin. It should not spin during initial drain but should after motor pauses and starts again for spin. If it does not spin, I would remove the motor and check the drive coupling although if it is shot, it would not likely agitate either. If the coupling is ok, and the clutch hub is not spinning, you have a gearcase problem. I have a pic of where to look for the clutch hub but the site isn't allowing me to add it right now so here is the link to the pic.

http://home.comcast....olClutchHub.jpg

Eric

#4 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:pabst

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Have you checked the coupling? Part # 285753A. That motor is direct drive, not belt driven. Those couplings break. It is an easy fix. You only need a few tools. It still pumps when the coupling is broken, which makes it nice because you don't have a tub full of water.

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Remove the agitator and look at the drive block....Are the ears/tabs of the spin tube inserted fully in the drive block.........(I should learn how to post pictures) :turned:

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Here's a pic. For some reason, when I click on the image button, the window never pops up to put the link into however, the link button works fine.

Eric

WhirlpoolDriveBlock.jpg

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 29 November 2012 - 11:47 AM.
works for me ..

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Your washer has a 3 speed motor. That means there is an extra 2 wire harness that connects to the motor. If this connection is loose, the machine will pulse, buck, click, ect.. instead of spinning steady. Check it first, it's an easy no cost fix.

Nick.

If you could post a sound or vid clip that would help us point you in the right direction.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Those two wires are for extra slow and slow speeds. If the speed select switch is set for regular or heavy duty, it's going to spin in fast speed.

Eric

#9 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I took it apart and the clip that is up inside the brake (above the clitch) came off and mangled the plastic part.  I don't know what to call the parts and would love to have an exploded diagram along with a parts description so I know what to order.  Can anyone help?

Brent

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

That's the brake cam driver , part number 64194, that comes with the clutch band kit.  If you need a new clip, it's called a retaining ring, part number W10083200.

Eric

WhirlpoolBrake.jpg

Edited by fairbank56, 10 December 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#11 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks - that is the part.  Any idea why this might have come off?   Also - I think I would like to replace the brake pads as they look pretty worn.  The diagram you provided shows them in the picture but the part numbers are not shown.  Could you provide those part numbers too?

Brent

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Clutch band kit ==> http://www.repaircli...artNumber=64194

And how to install it:

#13 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

When I pulled the washer out to explore the problem there was a lot of dark colored dust on the floor.  It appears this came from the brake pads so while I am in the neighborhood it seems like a good idea to replace the brake pads too.  I can't find the brake parts online as I don't have any part numbers.  Any help here would be great news.

Brent

#14 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Brake pads, part number 285438.

Eric

#15 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Normally that dark colored dust is from a worn rubber coupling. Make sure your coupling is good and replace if not. They are cheap.

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Have you checked the coupling? Part # 285753A. That motor is direct drive, not belt driven. Those couplings break. It is an easy fix. You only need a few tools. It still pumps when the coupling is broken, which makes it nice because you don't have a tub full of water.

Normally that dark colored dust is from a worn rubber coupling. Make sure your coupling is good and replace if not. They are cheap.

What about this, obenourb?  You've not answered this yet.

#17 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Coupler good and is pretty new.  Best I can tell the piece came loose and was in a way that the drum would spin but I am not sure the brake cams ever disengaged the brakes.  When I look at the pads they seem pretty thin compared to the pictures I see online.

It seemed that when I tried to put the retainer clip on the brake cam driver that it wouldn't go on right.  It was very tight to the cam driver and seemed like it wasn't going up the shaft far enough to allow the retainer clip to really fit nicely into the groove.  That may be why the clip comes off (twice now).  Are there any adjustments to make or reason?

Brent

#18 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

The T-bushing in the bottom of basket drive has sheared off above the retaining ring groove - replace the Basket drive

http://www.repaircli...er=110.28892790

Basket-Drive-285792-00633302.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#19 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Or you can replace the T bushing if you can get it out. This link has a good side view of the bushing so you can see where the clip goes. If this is the problem, you might as well try to get it out before buying a whole new basket drive.

Eric

#20 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

But, since you can't buy the bushing seperately, you'll need the basket drive anyhow

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics