Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
obenourb

Sears 110.28892790 Washer Not Spinning - Jackhammer Sound

32 posts in this topic

Bushing is made of sintered Bronze (Olilite) - please post a link where you got the bearing from 

...and take some pics of your journey to post for us.

Extra credit for pictures or video!   :dazzler:

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

In 20 years of doing appliance repair, I have never replaced a basket drive in a Whirlpool direct drive top load washer.  I have replaced a few gearcases and clutches, but never a basket drive.  I guess I'm lucky.

The fix was pretty simple once I got the new T-bushing (8546462) and clip ring (W10083200).  I would not have known these part numbers without this forum as they are not usually shown separately in diagrams or the normal parts offered for this model.

Getting the old one out required pulling the motor and transmission to get access.  I then took a hacksaw blade, wrapped up one end so it would saw the old bearing and not my hand, and inserted the other end inside the spin tube shaft hole.  This allowed me to saw through the wall of the old T-bearing in two locations (see the picture) and it finally came loose.  I just stuck my finger in the hole and pulled it out.  You have to watch actually sawing into the steel shaft but even if you knick it up some it doesn't matter since the replacement T-bearing will cover them all up.

I then put the new T-bearing in place by tapping it in with a hammer to wood to bearing approach so as not to mar it.  It went in pretty easy, put the cam driver and clip on and reattached the motor.  Ten minute job once I got the parts.

I think the bearing got ruined by me improperly putting the spin tube thrust washer on when I did a clutch replacement a year or so ago.  I suspect this T-bearing would normally last a good long time and would never see the kind of wear this one did without some sort of pilot error being the root cause.

My quality of life is now restored........

Nice work, obenourb, and domo for sharing the pearls for your repair odyssey!  eb672b4e42.gif

Very nicely done !   That seemed to me to be a fairly common wearpoint on those