Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sears 110.28892790 Washer Not Spinning - Jackhammer Sound

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

http://www.repaircli...8546462/1180081

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I can't tell from the pictures or the diagram what actually holds this T-bushing on to the shaft.  Is it easy to get the old bushing off and the new one on or should I just buy the whole assembly?  Be nice to save some $ if i don't need to spend them.

Also - from the pictures there doesn't seem to be an actual groove where the retaining clip slides in.  The pictures would suggest the clip goes in behind the "T".  Have I got this correct?

Brent

#23 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

The bushing is pressed into the drive tube. The outer diameter of the drive tube is the same as the diameter of the bottom of the bushing. When the bushing is pressed into the tube, the small shoulder at the bottom of the bushing "creates" the groove. Don't know how difficult it is, never done one but would try if needed, for the small cost of a bushing.

Eric

#24 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks.  I got the old bushing out with a hack saw blade pretty easy since it looks like it is made of copper and was easy to saw.  New one in the mail.  Looks like I may get out of this mess for under $35.  Compared brake pads with new ones, no significant difference, the new ones I bought are going back.

Thanks to all who helped, I think I am on the road to clean clothes once again.

Brent

#25 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Bushing is made of sintered Bronze (Olilite) - please post a link where you got the bearing from and take some pics of your journey to post for us.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#26 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,032 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

Bushing is made of sintered Bronze (Olilite) - please post a link where you got the bearing from 

http://www.repaircli...8546462/1180081

...and take some pics of your journey to post for us.

Extra credit for pictures or video!   :dazzler:

#27 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#28 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

In 20 years of doing appliance repair, I have never replaced a basket drive in a Whirlpool direct drive top load washer.  I have replaced a few gearcases and clutches, but never a basket drive.  I guess I'm lucky.

Scott Wolf

#29 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Have done many, some complete rebuilds due to water leak through centrebearings - piece o'cake though - just add this:

http://www.repaircli...er=110.28892790

Tub-Base-280184-01032550.jpg

#30 obenourb

obenourb

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

The fix was pretty simple once I got the new T-bushing (8546462) and clip ring (W10083200).  I would not have known these part numbers without this forum as they are not usually shown separately in diagrams or the normal parts offered for this model.

Getting the old one out required pulling the motor and transmission to get access.  I then took a hacksaw blade, wrapped up one end so it would saw the old bearing and not my hand, and inserted the other end inside the spin tube shaft hole.  This allowed me to saw through the wall of the old T-bearing in two locations (see the picture) and it finally came loose.  I just stuck my finger in the hole and pulled it out.  You have to watch actually sawing into the steel shaft but even if you knick it up some it doesn't matter since the replacement T-bearing will cover them all up.

I then put the new T-bearing in place by tapping it in with a hammer to wood to bearing approach so as not to mar it.  It went in pretty easy, put the cam driver and clip on and reattached the motor.  Ten minute job once I got the parts.

I think the bearing got ruined by me improperly putting the spin tube thrust washer on when I did a clutch replacement a year or so ago.  I suspect this T-bearing would normally last a good long time and would never see the kind of wear this one did without some sort of pilot error being the root cause.

My quality of life is now restored........

Brent

#31 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,032 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Nice work, obenourb, and domo for sharing the pearls for your repair odyssey!  eb672b4e42.gif

#32 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Very nicely done !   That seemed to me to be a fairly common wearpoint on those

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics