Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Dishwasher DU1055XTSS3

Noise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 njpatentdad

njpatentdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

The symptoms of my problem began with dishes not getting very clean.  Wasnt really sure if it was my perception or not so I let it go a while.  Then I determined the upper sprayer arm wasnt moving (could hear motor running, tub had water in the bottom but opening closing door revealed arm in same position).  Shortly after that the dishwasher started making noise.  

This is what I have tried:

1. Visit this website and supplementary searches. 

2.  Remove lower spray arm and the various covers and filters down to the chopper assembly.   Found and removed what I have learned from this site is technically termed "gunkus" - calcified labels, plastic stuff, lots of soap calcification.  Removed the chopper assembly soaked and cleaned (toothpicked the various calcified holes).  Replaced the chopper assembly and everything else.

3. Ran a cycle on HOT WASH with bottle of dishwasher magic.

4. Ran a small dish load everything looked pretty clean but I didnt really have anything that dirty (e.g. no spaghetti, coffee, juice, etc) that would be any challenge.

The upper spray arm is moving and general overall improvement. However the noise remains.

In one post regarding a different mfg/model our sometimes lucid host I think suggested the chopper shaft may have been stripped but I dont know how to check for that short of removing dishwasher and removing motor assembly.  When I installed chopper, I turned the impeller by sticking finger down water inlet valve so i am reasonably sure the reinstalled chopper is engaging the impeller.  I have no idea if the impeller is moving I guess.

P.S. - I originally thought the dirty dishes were due to malfunctioning soap dispenser but I replaced that with a new dispenser and verified that the door opens.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

The upper spray arm is moving and general overall improvement. However the noise remains.

Do you hear the noise during the wash cycle or only at the beginning, when the drain pump is running?  Can also tell this by removing the kickpanels and listening to the drain pump while runs.  

In one post regarding a different mfg/model our sometimes lucid host I think suggested the chopper shaft may have been stripped but I dont know how to check for that short of removing dishwasher and removing motor assembly.  When I installed chopper, I turned the impeller by sticking finger down water inlet valve so i am reasonably sure the reinstalled chopper is engaging the impeller.  I have no idea if the impeller is moving I guess.

If the chopper is stripped, it will turn on the motor shaft without engaging the motor.  

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Place an empty glass open end up on the top rack and run the machine 60 seconds,then check for water level in the glass.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Crap! I accidentally deleted your last post on my phone when I hit a wrong button. Sorry about that, njpat. Please repost.

#5 njpatentdad

njpatentdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

mo ichido:

#Grandmaster:

Noise begins AFTER basin fills WHEN motor/spraying sound starts and continues until drying

chopper gear that engages impeller was not stripped and successfully turned when I manually turned the impeller by sticking my finger down the water inlet. I dont know if the impeller is stripped and turning (or if that is a likelihood)

#jumptrout

optimistic grasshoppah say: "glass half full"

Just finished full load and despite noise, everything looks clean including a couple of "challenges" (e.g. cheese knife with residue, etc.) which prior to degunkifying were not getting clean.  Noise is new and unusual and if I can solve to avoid future problems, then yay! but I cant see what effect it is having on end result.  This load was done on the High Temp setting which I had resorted to try to improve performance (without taking anything apart).  So I will try next one with normal settings.

domo arigato gozaimus

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

The most likely cause of the noise is a front motor bearing going out and it will keep getting worse and cleaning will degrade further as the motor isn't able to turn fast enough.

This happens form the pump seal going out and continually seeping a small amount of water into that front bearing but not enough to leak out onto the floor were you will have a clue that it is leaking.

You wouldn't believe how bad that front bearing area can get with just very little signs of leakage/corrosion at the front of the motor housing, (the area behind the seal and in front of the front bearing is pretty well closed in and contains the small leakage and directs it directly into the front motor bearing.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

You wouldn't believe how bad that front bearing area can get with just very little signs of leakage/corrosion at the front of the motor housing, (the area behind the seal and in front of the front bearing is pretty well closed in and contains the small leakage and directs it directly into the front motor bearing.

Ezzacly.  Njpat, if you remove the wash motor, the corrosion is usually visible:

med_gallery_4_41_46889.jpg

med_gallery_4_41_207937.jpg

med_gallery_4_41_24763.jpg

You could just replace the motor ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=DU1055XTSS3

Circulation-Pump-Motor-W10239404-0109327

Or, for just a few shekels more, replace the whole wash motor and housing assembly ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=DU1055XTSS3

Circulation-Pump-W10237169-01093266.jpg

And here's the world-famous, patent-pending Samurai Method™ for replacing the motor and housing in less than four minutes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics