Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Dryer MDE5500AYQ

Squeaking Noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

This dryer is making a loud squeaking noise. The rollers, and idler are fine. The noise is coming from the heater chamber rubbing against the inlet duct where they meet. Does anyone have a good fix for this problem? The screws that hold the heater in place are tight. It seems that as the drum turns, there is enough vibration that the two parts rub just enough to cause a loud squealing sound that is unbearable to the customer.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Have you checked the front drum glides and the blower wheel?

#3 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I checked the blower wheel, but I don't think this unit has any glides. As I remember it, it has a front felt that supports the drum, which looked fine. I disconneted the heater from the duct and ran the dryer and the noise disappeared. My problem is I don't know what has changed that makes the heater rub against the duct. I am hoping someone else has seen this problem and has a simple fix for this.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Link to Glides:  http://www.repaircli...mber=MDE5500AYQ

Drum-Slide-Glide-or-Pad-306508-00554910.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

You can try putting some thin asbestos tape etc where the metal contacts to prevent chafing, another thing that can squeak is the idler spring where it wraps in the bottom of cabinet - strip a length of insulation from a wire and slide the insulation piece around the hook in the spring and reattach.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I will check the glides and if they are ok, I will try the other suggestions. I will post again once I finally figure it out.

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

Try pushing ( towards the rear )  the rear bulkhead...........The noise is pretty much coming from the heater enclosure   and the inlet assy.................The rear rollers and the drum cause a vibration that appears  to resonate at the junction point of the heater enclosure  and the inlet duct..........Pushing on the rear bulkhead seems to change that............ ( at least it did for me, ran the dryer with the door open and  pushed the bulkhead at various points )...

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

I found the noise to be the heat chamber vibrating because the way it was crimped together allowed movement/vibration/noise. I used my diagonal pliers to crimp it tightly and stopped the noise. Also, it it has the metal bell, weight, on the motor, remove it. The weight was intended to reduce noise, but in fact it caused vibrations that made more noise.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

i had one like this and the lady i went out to was relentless couldnt figure it out so i did a unconvental way i cut a piece of 2 buy 4 and i put it between the rear bulkhead and the back of the dryer and i used a self tapping screw threw the rear to hold it in place  it worked

#10 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for all of the helpfull posts. It was in fact the vibration between the heater and the duct. I was able to fit a small piece of high temp welding frabric between the tube and the duct and the noise is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics