Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
jlb813

Maytag Dryer MDE5500AYQ

10 posts in this topic

This dryer is making a loud squeaking noise. The rollers, and idler are fine. The noise is coming from the heater chamber rubbing against the inlet duct where they meet. Does anyone have a good fix for this problem? The screws that hold the heater in place are tight. It seems that as the drum turns, there is enough vibration that the two parts rub just enough to cause a loud squealing sound that is unbearable to the customer.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Have you checked the front drum glides and the blower wheel?

I checked the blower wheel, but I don't think this unit has any glides. As I remember it, it has a front felt that supports the drum, which looked fine. I disconneted the heater from the duct and ran the dryer and the noise disappeared. My problem is I don't know what has changed that makes the heater rub against the duct. I am hoping someone else has seen this problem and has a simple fix for this.

You can try putting some thin asbestos tape etc where the metal contacts to prevent chafing, another thing that can squeak is the idler spring where it wraps in the bottom of cabinet - strip a length of insulation from a wire and slide the insulation piece around the hook in the spring and reattach.

Thanks for the help guys. I will check the glides and if they are ok, I will try the other suggestions. I will post again once I finally figure it out.

Try pushing ( towards the rear )  the rear bulkhead...........The noise is pretty much coming from the heater enclosure   and the inlet assy.................The rear rollers and the drum cause a vibration that appears  to resonate at the junction point of the heater enclosure  and the inlet duct..........Pushing on the rear bulkhead seems to change that............ ( at least it did for me, ran the dryer with the door open and  pushed the bulkhead at various points )...

I found the noise to be the heat chamber vibrating because the way it was crimped together allowed movement/vibration/noise. I used my diagonal pliers to crimp it tightly and stopped the noise. Also, it it has the metal bell, weight, on the motor, remove it. The weight was intended to reduce noise, but in fact it caused vibrations that made more noise.

Nick

i had one like this and the lady i went out to was relentless couldnt figure it out so i did a unconvental way i cut a piece of 2 buy 4 and i put it between the rear bulkhead and the back of the dryer and i used a self tapping screw threw the rear to hold it in place  it worked

Thanks for all of the helpfull posts. It was in fact the vibration between the heater and the duct. I was able to fit a small piece of high temp welding frabric between the tube and the duct and the noise is gone.